Monday, August 29, 2022

WAM Jewels of the Nile

When the Eldest came to visit last month, we went to the Worcester Art Museum to see the Jewels of the Nile exhibit.

The day we visited was the start of a heatwave so the exhibit was quite crowded as people sought relief from the heat. The crowd made it difficult to get photos with descriptions.


The jewels came to WAM through a donation from Laura Norcross Marrs in 1925. Mrs. Marrs was a noted patron of the arts at the turn of the 19th century, and she was an avid art collector. On a trip to Egypt in 1908, she and her husband, Kingsmill Marrs met and befriended, Howard Carter. Yeah, that Howard Carter who discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun. Carter advised them on purchasing antiquities, particularly jewelry which was legal at that time.

The Marrs collection was quite extensive and is on exhibit in its entirety for the first time in a century. 


The exhibit also had some interactive features such as being able to touch and feel various semi-precious stones. Rose Quartz for the Eldest because she loves the color pink


Lapis Lazuli for me


and Amethyst because it's pretty.


Hematite when polished is used to burnish gold leaf in gilding.


I didn't get a description of this painting, but this woman reminded me of Ma and the aunties when they got all dressed up with their earrings and jewelry.



Of course, I made sure to get a picture of the Cat


You should be able to embiggen the description of the Cat


A collection of glass make-up, perfume pots, and jars






Correspondence between Howard Carter and the Marrs. I was interested in the penmanship.


Carter was not only an archeologist, but also a watercolorist. Mrs. Marrs purchased many of his watercolors.





The Jewels of the Nile will be on exhibit at the Worcester Art Museum until January 29, 2023. If you're in the area, be sure to stop by.

18 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, wish it wasn't so far away! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to visit virtually. Check out wamart.org

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know Cater was a watercolorist! That's a cool factoid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I kept a rock collection when I was young. I enjoy seeing the changing exhibits at museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAM does a good job of bringing in exhibits and moving stuff around

      Delete
  4. How fortunate you are to be able to go see that! We just have a small local art museum.. but i do manage to drag hubby there occasionally .. I need to just start going on my own.. But a curator follows us around everywhere and i just find it disconcerting to have someone watching me looking at the art.. I feel like they are ready to pounce.. lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Security follows people around at WAM. You get used to them as they are only doing their jobs

      Delete
  5. Magical - Only Wish I Could Enjoy The Smells Of The Building - And One Delightful Garden My Friend

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some rain so the garden is looking perkier

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your photographs an interesting visit.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the little view of this exhibit. I'm waiting for a fall day to visit on my way home from visiting Mom. It looks really interesting. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you’ll get a day when it’s not crowded. Remember WAM is close on Mon. And Tues.

      Delete
  8. I'm having trouble leaving comments, but I really enjoyed this exhibit. Seems to be quite remarkable with the interactive nature of the rocks. How amazing. I really enjoyed this visit to the Jewel of the Nile exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you enjoyed the exhibit. I’m also having problems leaving comments on some blogs.

      Delete