Tuesday, August 16, 2022

T Stands for the Dropped Dead Murphys Tour - Part 2



Himself had corresponded with the City Clerk. She had told him the office would be closed around 11 AM until 1 PM for lunch so he decided that should be our first stop of the day. 


Tile floor in city hall


What were these weights on the first floor?


They were the weights and counter balances to a very cool clock on the second floor


I hope you can embiggen the image above to read about the clock restoration.


Himself talking to the city clerk. He was  hoping to find birth certificates. The clerk told him there was nothing on record because there had been a fire and records before were lost. She suggested her contact one of the churches or to check the Maine archives.


After city hall, we stopped for brunch at Governor's Restaurant


We all ordered the Monte Cristo (ham and cheese between slices of thick French toast). Most Montes I've had are served with raspberry jam. Governor's serves theirs with maple syrup. The sandwich came with a side of home fries, and I had a cup of tea.


The Tin Man take a book and leave a book posed for pictures with his friend, the Trash Can.


Mount Hope Cemetery was very large and it seemed everyone was named Murphy. These Murphys did not belong to Himself


 The rushing waters of the Androscoggin River helped to break the silence of the cemetery. If there is land erosion, Mary, here, could end up in the river.


The sections Himself's grandfathers were buried in were G and H. On the way in we passed a marker for section E, but no other markers were visible. I told Himself that the headstones in this area were relatively new, from the 1940s and 1950s. Himself's grandfathers passed in the early 1900s.


Driving around the cemetery, we passed a woman filling up a watering can at one of the water spigots. I suggested Himself stop the car so I could ask her if she knew the layout of the cemetery or if there was someone in the office who could help us. I asked her about the cemetery sections and she laughed. As if putting up markers was a very funny idea. She did point to a section with a large hill on the far side of the cemetery and said that was the older section. I thanked her.

Himself had a picture he had found from FindAGrave.com. The headstone for his great-great grandfather was large. 

In visiting cemeteries, at least in Massachusetts, most of the Irish families had modest headstones. Large monuments were reserved for prominent people or Italians. The Irish must have done well in this area of Maine. A lot of the monuments were very large and not just marking a family plot.



I wandered up the steep hill, did a bit of searching, but had no luck. I did find this interesting headstone for a priest, Father O'Connell. The urn is a common funeral symbol, but I don't recall ever seeing it with a drape. What really attracted me to this stone, was the split in the stone. Like the good Father is trying to break out. Remember last week, I mentioned we were in Stephen King country? 😉 Stephen King writes mostly horror novels.

When I got to the bottom of the hill, Himself pointed to a large monument on the opposite side of the road. What about that one?


I gave him a thumb's up to let him know this was the grave. 

"That was lucky," he said.

"No. They were calling to you."


The photo of the stone Himself had seen wasn't very good and it looked like great-great-Grandpa had two wives at the same time!

As it turned out, gr-gr-grandpa's first wife died and he remarried. Too bad, two wives at the same time would have made a much more interesting story.



The stone marked a large family plot. I think Himself said gr-gr-grandpa had several children with his first wife and 15 children with his second wife. Sadly, these children didn't survive their childhood.


Opposite gr-gr-grandpa's grave were more Murphy graves. This was great-grandpa's grave.


While Himself visited, I wandered around a bit. I was quite touched with this family plot. In all the cemeteries I have visited no matter what day or time of day, there are very few flowers or plantings on the older graves. Someone was visiting here.


Near his great-grandfather's stone, was this headstone. Himself thought this might also be a relation. Both of these men died on the same day.  Back at the hotel, Himself did a little more research. 

He remembered a story that two brothers had been on the railroad tracks. One of them got stuck and the other tried to help, but both were killed by a train. Tragic, but not true.

Himself found an obituary and the real story is just as tragic. James with the large monument owned the mortuary works. His brother, great-grandfather was a stone cutter and James had persuaded his brother to work for him. Great-grandfather contracted silicosis from breathing in all the stone dust and died. No OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) to oversee safety equipment. When great-grandpa's brother heard the news his brother had passed away, he was so distraught and guilty for talking his brother to go to work for him. It's not clear whether he intentionally walked on the railroad tracks or wandered there, but he was hit my a train and died a few hours after his brother had passed away.


We had pizza delivered for dinner. After all the research and roaming around in the cemetery, we had Maine's state dessert Whoopie Pie to end the day.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

36 comments:

  1. I'm glad I've already eaten, otherwise I would have trouble looking at your food photos ;-)
    All the best from a place near Vienna / Austria
    Traude Rostrose (joining T Stands For Tuesday 🍷🥤🍻🥂🍹🥛)
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/blogparade-tropisch-exotisch-u30blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on finding the grave! Maybe not a good idea to hang around in that graveyard after dark in case the good father pops out through that crack! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, I loved seeing all your photos! It looks like you had a wonderful time 😊. Woopie pies are one of my favourites, but we can't get them here in the UK so I make my own - yum! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL made fabulous Whoopie pies. I cheat and use a store bought cake mix as the base. 😺

      Delete
  4. Now you have me wanting to look up dead relatives! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you decide to go cemetery sighting, let me know, and I'll go with you!

      Delete
  5. Success! And such interesting finds! I love the tin man. That's such a no-brainer for a design, but I've never seen one painted that way. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always seen the little houses so the Tin Man was a delightful surprise. I wanted to relocate him, too.

      Delete
  6. Researching family history is like going on a treasure hunt. So glad that you were able to find the grave. Looks like you had a fun trip. That Monte Cristo looks delicious!
    Happy Tea DAy,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice time especially since we were able to spend some time with the Eldest.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you managed to find the Murphy's in the end. Back then many children didn't survive infancy, it was the same in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sad to see how many children didn't survive their childhoods back then

      Delete
  8. So interesting to wander around the cemetery looking for your ancestors. How exciting that you found the graves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was happy that we found the graves. It makes the genealogy search so real

      Delete
  9. I would have to travel very far to look up the graves of my family on the East Coast.. but it is something i wouldn't mind doing one day.. I love to wander around cemeteries.. I find them peaceful.. That one with the cracked headstone gave me the heebie jeebies though! Guess i've read too much Stephen King...lol Great job finding the headstones!! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same staring at the crack and looking at the good Father's grave 😺

      Delete
  10. Very interesting. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always find it fascinating when you or your husband visit a grave site. You found the grave and it was like it jumped right out at you.

    Loved seeing Governor's Restaurant and your sandwich and home fries. Tea sounds like the perfect drink, too.

    Thanks for taking is on the second leg of your Dropped Dead Murphy's Tour and your visit to Governor's Restaurant where you shared your meal and tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cemetery was so huge. The grandpas had to be calling to Himself.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on finding hubby's great grandfather's grave. What a great find. I didn't get a Whoopie Pie when I was in Maine. I do love Monte Cristos, though! Oh, and the tin man book drop was a fun photo op. :) Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so pleased that you found the graves. What a great journey you had to find them too! City Hall looks interesting and your brunch looks delicious! The cemetery really does look huge. Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a great trip. The cherry on top was finding the graves.

      Delete
  14. What a wondrous day. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like the others I am glad you found the graves. I have not even thought of a Monte Cristo sandwich in decades. Now I just might have to make some. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like an interesting trip and so glad you could find the graves and some good food. The story of the brothers is sad. All those children lost too - even sadder. If they can see us, I know they were happy someone cared enough to research and visit. I know we all hope our future line even remotely thinks of us.

    I am going to have to try to make a Monte Cristo now - I haven't had one in 20 years. I used to love them!

    Happy T-day, CJ. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would have been pleased to have been remembered

      Delete
  17. It looks like a successful trip. Governors used to be the place we ate a lot at when I was in college up on Orono. And I’d don’t know Maines state dessert is whoops pies. I think it’s NH’s too. Hope it was a good T day and that we get some much needed rain today. Even though we are driving home it in. HigsErika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King taught at Orono. Did you ever take a class from him? I thought it was supposed to rain all day today, but so far just grey skies

      Delete
  18. I loved seeing the town hall and that beautiful clock. Yes, I read the description. The floor tiles are very special too.
    You had some fun trying to find the graves. I love visiting graveyards. In Italy particularly as they all have photos.
    I had never heard of a whoopie pie and had to look it up. Sounds yummie.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos embedded in the headstone in recent years. I love wandering through the graveyards especially the old sections where the headstones were carved by hand.

      Delete
  19. What An Adventure Here - Dig The Photos - Bummer On The Fire - Big Hugs CJ

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete