Tuesday, July 28, 2026

T Stands for Cemetery Visit

 

We had been sick off and on during April and May so I had missed visiting the folks at Easter and Mother's Day.

Their 83rd wedding anniversary would be on July 4th. I told Himself I never heard the end of it from Ma if I missed this date. So on July 2nd, we headed out to the Massachusetts Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Agawam, Massachusetts.


We were in the middle of a heatwave with high temperatures and high humidity. Like a jaguar which lives in the rainforest, I don't mind this kind of weather. However, it was too hot for Himself to be sitting in the car even with the AC running. 

There was also a Committal Ceremony going on when we arrived. The color guard and riflemen were going into the chapel to present the bereaved with the flag and the cartridges from the gun salute. So I didn't want to stay too long as it looked like Dad's area of the cemetery was going to have a new neighbor. 


Usually on the ride home, we stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast or brunch, but I didn't feel like going there. Instead, I found a diner in Sturbridge called The Little Rest Stop. It was in a cozy, little house and they put on a substantial breakfast. I had scrambled eggs, home fries, and raisin bread toast along with a cup of tea. The waitress was a little too perky, but the service was good.

As a special for the Fourth of July, the restaurant was also offering fried dough. So we each ordered that, too.


I didn't expect the fried dough to be the size of dinner plates! I was expecting the fried dough to be about the size of your hand. A normal size like Ma made. I had a small taste of the fried dough (delicious) and took the rest home.


A cool thing happened when we got home. The new door lock recognized my phone so automatically unlocked the door! The only problem was the time from phone recognition to opening the door was only 30 seconds. I'm not that quick to make it from the car to the front door in the amount of time. So the door locked automatically again and I had to use my thumb or personal code to get in.  Still, it's pretty cool. I've since changed the time to 2 minutes.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

6 comments:

  1. Our fried dough comes in the form of balls. As I don´t like sweets I googled that.
    Your door-phone connection sure made me giggle. 30 seconds is quite a challenge indeed ;-) Even 2 minutes! Have a happy T-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello CJ and thanks for the comment on my recent post. It's always nice to met a fellow blogger and also one who lives in New England. That diner sounds like the type of place we would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off the beaten path so a lot of locals. It was cozy with very generous portions.

      Delete
  3. That is such a cool thingummyjig to unlock your door. I'm not showing it to Barry 'coz he'll want one and I can't have another fob whose whereabouts I shall have to remember, because he never can. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete