Thursday, March 21, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

My next look for a job was with the Veteran's Administration in the Insurance Division.When we went into the Service, the Government offered each inductee life insurance. It was optional and one could sign up any time. At the time I had ten thousand dollars worth. I filled the long application and a short time later I was hired. At 26 years of age I began working for the Government.

The previous summer I got talked into taking courses by Mary. I wasn't so sure that I would go to college. I took two law courses. Your mother suggested that I go to college and see if I would like it. I knew I would.Reading and learning were things I enjoyed doing.

Mary and I talked things over and she thought I should study law and become a lawyer. It wasn't my wish as I still thought I would like to be a social worker.

I signed up and went into the law school. It was called Portia Law School Today,, it's called New England School of Law. Eddie Dressler also went there where we met and became friends.

I had completed my pre-law requirements when I when I worked in Waltham. 

In the day time I worked  at the Veteran's Administration and at night I would go to the law college. The professors were all practicing attorneys. They knew their business. Uncle Vincent [ed: a lawyer] when he learned that I was studying to be a lawyer said if I made the Bar, he would help me.

I worked for the Veteran't Administration for 8 years. I got promotions and also an increase in salary to train a section leader who spent more time in a bar room than at the office. He was a political appointment.

I also was selected to be one of the people who would work the the auditing group and certify the amount of the insurance and interest to be paid.

Of course, my going to law college made my parents happy, my in-laws, and Mary who thought it was great. And my father-in-law, since I was at night school, would set my dinner to one side. No one in the family could eat until he set my portion to one side.[ed: This was done so Dad would not have to eat the leftovers as he got the very first portion]

I was also doing well with my grades. I had a to do with one of my teachers. When he marked me absent. I told him that I was there because I could not afford to miss a class. When this came up prior to this incident we had a test. And I had created the impression I wasn't that intelligent. He said for a student who isn't smart you did very well on the test. I asked if he could tell me what I got. As it was a tricky sort of test on the giving of and applying the law of another state in your own state. He said 100.

Later after I graduated I met him on the street. And he asked me how I was doing. I said I got my first case, a tort, but I'm waiting for my cousin to help me once he finishes with what he is working on. He said do you have any of your letterhead? I said yes. He had me go to his office. Talked to me what the matter was about. And he dictated a letter to his secretary and I mailed and kept the copy.

The fact that a person is a lawyer means nothing. You need additional training in the real world.

12 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see what people go through and what makes them. Sometimes it is easy to think everyone has it so easy. But does anyone? Happy Thursday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone struggles with making decisions. Maybe some people just hide things better.

      Delete
  2. Great story today, he worked very hard. And it's so true that real life and work only starts after the training. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad sometimes when we finish school, we think we know it all.

      Delete
  3. This historical journal is always interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. I was so impressed. I guess that's why we have to perform an internship in our chosen field in grad school. Not sure what the practice was in Law School. What got me was how slow everyone was to react, even in industry, where the bottom line is the dollar sign. I had my first project, which was to change the order of some blueprints and make them more easily accessible to the people working on the line (assembly line). I evaluated the problem, corrected it, and presented the solution in a meeting. My boss (she worked in New Jersey and I worked in Omaha) flew in to see the presentation. She was floored. She thought I was going to present a proposal, not a completed project. All the engineers went down on the shop floor and asked how the new order was working. Every person they talked to said what I had done made it so much easier and user friendly. That's why I was a Human Factors engineer!

    Your father got that on-the-job training, too. Books and education must be applied in order to be useful.

    BTW, I wanted to tell you after 9/11, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island were closed to the public for several months for fear of a brazen attack there, too. As I understand it, once it was reopened, the daily restrictions were applied. That statue is not going anywhere. It is made to last for many lifetimes. The copper skin was getting damaged due to the elements. That's why it had to be cleaned and spruced up. BTW, my name and address are part of the original contributors of the restoration, which is located in the museum. However, you have to know the zip code and last name of the person in order to access the information. It was all on computer, which made me feel like a fool. For some reason, I thought it would be on a large plaque. DUH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all get on the job training after graduating from school. Just not everyone realizes book learning doesn't always equal experience.

      Delete
  5. Another interesting chapter! I had to laugh about the 'political appointee'.....some things never change! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how his meal was put to the side, before anyone else ate. Good for your dad being a lawyer! 100 on the test? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gesture spoiled Dad. He always had to have the first helping and no leftovers! Yeah, Dad was one smart fella.

      Delete