Tuesday, March 5, 2019

T Stands for Radiance Rediscovered

All instructors at the Worcester Art Museum must take their students to visit the galleries at least once during the session.  There are no examples of Western calligraphy on view.  So it means going into the gallery to look at art in a different way.

My field trip is scheduled around the lesson for illuminated or decorated initials. Usually, we visit the Renaissance Court and Medieval galleries to look at motifs (leaves, flowers, etc) that could be used in our artwork.

This time around I've decided to visit a new exhibit currently on view, Radiance Rediscovered: Stained Glass by Tiffany and LaFarge (June 30, 2018 – July 7, 2019) Traditional boxed, illuminated initials with leaves, vines, and other decorations are a little bit like stained glass windows.

So come with me as I plan my lesson.

Vassily Kandinsky , Russian, 1866–1944 
Untitled, No. 629

As we enter the building, we see this installation on the side of the building. It's a good reminder that we don't have to use traditional motifs of leaves, flowers, and vines, or traditional color schemes. 



Lancaster Street Entrance



The three murals in the Lancaster lobby were created for the Samurai! exhibition in 2015. Follow the link to read the press release.

You may leave your belongings behind the Security Desk. Ladies, you may take your purse. If you wish to sketch in the galleries, only pencils or colored pencils are allowed. Non-flash photography is permitted in all the galleries except Art Since the Mid-20th Century Gallery. We're not visiting that gallery today.


You can have lunch in the The Museum Café, only open Wed. through Sat. from 11AM - 3 PM.  Oh, and no food, drink, gum, etc. is allowed in the galleries. You knew that, right?


Here we are. You should be able to click on the photographs to enlarge.


Sadly, I didn't get a good photograph of the wall describing the exhibit. You can read about it here.

















Whovians know Don't Blink! 😉














This vase reminds me of the bottle Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie lived in.






I liked the shadow this vase cast.










The colors almost make it look like liquid inside the vase.




A spot to sit and contemplate the stained glass.


And since this is Tea Day, why not pick up a lovely teacup or glass from the Museum gift shop as a memento of your visit?

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

42 comments:

  1. Oooooh, what wonderful exhibits in the museum. Glass art is always my fave. I love visiting the glass museum here, too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fascinating exhibit.I think you can look at coloring and other things for your class. The WAM always seems to get some good exhibits. I haven't been there for several years as I am usually in and out of town with my mom no longer living in her own house. Thanks for taking us through this tour to T day. Hope its a good one for you. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots new at WAM. The Medieval galleries were recently reinstalled to display some of the Higgins armor collection. Instead of being dark and medieval, the gallery is light, airy, and you can actually see the artwork. Plans are in place so that the Higgins collection will have its own permanent gallery.

      Delete
  3. really fabulous exhibit-so much beauty to take in! Thank you for sharing your visit. Love it all! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Almost as good as being there. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time you feel nostalgic for snow or colder temperatures, you're welcome to c'mon up and we can spend the day at the museum

      Delete
  5. This was wonderful. This will definitely be a great lesson for your students. Your ability to prepare this lesson in advance is admirable. Simply a fabulous post. My fave is still Kandinsky, but I'm a fan of Tiffany and his glass, too. Amazing about the missing panel.

    Thanks for sharing this with us and taking us to the gift shop for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Kandinsky is my favorite painting in the museum. Makes me smile and think of kites. The art theft was a real surprise to learn about, too.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a fabulous field trip! I'm sure your students will love visiting this exhibition, it is so inspirational 😁. I so enjoyed visiting with you and seeing all the beauty, thanks so much! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they enjoy it. Sometimes getting the adults into the museum is difficult as they just want to stay in the studio to work.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this virtual museum visit :) I'd love to see it in person, but you shared enough to give me a good experience of it. There was a variety on exhibit, wasn't there! And yes, I'd not say no to one of those lovely gift shop cups :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring your credit card. There are a *Lot* of beautiful things in the gift shop. :-D

      Delete
  8. Wow, what great exhibits. That would be a fun field trip to get to go on. I hope your class enjoys it. I love stained glass windows. The paintings and vases are lovely too. Happy T-Day and stay warm. (It's supposed to warm up next week.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful exhibition! I enjoyed visiting with you there! Thank you for sharing the photos and impressions! Happy T-Day!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really enjoyed this post - ..thanks for the tour and photos of all this lovely artwork with the details posted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice field trip. Thanks for sharing all the nice photos. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the fascinating tour of the Radiance Rediscovered: Stained Glass exhibit, CJ. The Angel Troubling the Water is very unusual and striking. I didn't blink - phew!

    The Tiffany vases are amazing.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Angel Troubling the Water panel the best. The glass colors are so vibrant and striking. I liked the comparison of the planned watercolor to the glass.

      Delete
  13. Wow, you really took us on a great tour of what looks like a very well-thought out exhibition with a wonderful theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The installation is jaw dropping as the windows are huge. I didn't capture their size very well.

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful exhibit. So many pieces to draw inspiration from. All those vases are breath-taking in photo. I bet in-person is so much better. And that samurai portrait is amazing as well. That is a field trip that I would love to take. You must have a fun job.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The windows are quite large which the photos don't quite capture. I love my job.

      Delete
  15. Wow, that is an amazing exhibition for the students, I really enjoyed the photos which are fantastic. The Tiffany glass looked beautiful.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhibit is awesome. So many beautiful things to look at.

      Delete
  16. You had me at Kandinsky and Tiffany! LaFarge I'm not familiar with, but his work is lovely. A Kandinsky abstraction adorned calligraphy would be awesome. The lilies in the stained glass would also be wonderful for calligraphy illumination. All so gorgeous, thanks for sharing! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaFarge was born in NY but worked in Rhode Island. One of his large commissions was the stained glass in Boston's Trinity Church in Copley Sq. LaFarge and Tiffany were rivals. Supposedly LaFarge had a copyright lawsuit against Tiffany for the use of LaFarge's glass techniques.

      Delete
  17. Wow! What a field trip! Thank you for this virtual tour. I spent a happy hour looking at each exhibit and reading about it. Such beauty. I too love the Angel at the pool. I love how the water reflects the image of the angel. I also like the fact that we could see the water color (I assume it is a study) of the scene.
    I admire the work of the restaurers and conservators.They do such important work relatively anonimously.
    The third panel? What a mystery! Was it stolen? Did they drop it in transport and didn't own up? We will never know.
    It was a lovely visit and I am glad the gift shop is also virtual, as I can see that I would spend money there.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the watercolor is a study for the Angel and the water. The restorers and conservators are amazing and patient. We have a room, the Chapter House, from a medieval French monastery. I was in the gallery one day sketching the stone work. The Chapter House was being cleaned. The conservators had a special solution and with a cotton bud were removing grime from the stones!The third panel, I think it must have been stolen. That panel had Tiffany's signature on it so it made the panel very valuable. But, we will never really know the truth.

      Delete
  18. Fabulous post CJ I loved everything very much
    Happy T Hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing CJ! Thanks for taking pictures of the writings to go along with the items! I love the Tiffany glass! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many wonders. I especially enjoyed the Peacock Window.
    Thanks for letting me tag along.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful range of exhibits! I laughed at your 'Don't Blink' - those angels really used to freak my grandson out - scary monsters fine - angels!!!!!!! Hmmm...wonder who has that panel now!! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Weeping Angels are my favorite Doctor Who monster. I wonder if that panel will ever turn up?

      Delete