Thursday, March 7, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

By Not provided - FDR Library https://fdrlibrary.wordpress.com/tag/g-i-bill-of-rights/, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40882962
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

We returned to her parents' home as they had more rooms than my parents and her father talked to Mary about room and board which was more than reasonable. Leaving me to decided what I wanted to do.

My problem should I go back to college on the G.I. Bill or see a job? I could have gone to the Boy's Club, but that did no please me at all. Mary had her job and in the community that we were in, going to school while the wife worked was not the thing to do. Not there. Her parents would not understand. Going to college as a day student would not sell. There was no understanding that there was a sacrifice  to be made for a good future. Most Italians expected that the husband was not doing things [ed: working]. Their thinking. I took some time and began looking for a job. My going to college would get me some money if I went days plus my disability. I could have done it, if I was single. But I did decided I should try college.  I went to Boston University. The person who interviewed me was not interested in me. He was surprised with my knowledge, my reading ability, etc. and he was having a hard time staying awake. His questions and attitude were ridiculous. So I said I'll see you later, good-bye.

Of course, your mother was for my going to school. Also I was getting a little edgy. Life wasn't like I learned from the Arnolds. On one of my walks in Boston, I ran into a person I knew who was a social worker and we had a chat. He said that the Women's Industrial Center was looking for an assistant director. The next day I went to the North End [ed: of Boston] and was interviewed. The director was looking for someone who had experience, etc. I did not have a graduate degree as a social worker and this he said he needed the employee now. And didn't have to be strict on college education at the time. And how I would work that out would be up to me. I mentioned that I trained under Charlie Arnold. And that ended the interview. He said, "If you worked for Arnold, you do not need to submit a resume. Arnold is a top social worker and I'm sure that you got excellent training. Go home talk it over with your wife and if she says yes, you have the job." At that time the custom in the area of community centers, wives were expected to take part in the activities and render service.

It was late in the afternoon and I went home. When Mary came home I told her that I had a job, etc. And she turned it down. She said that she didn't intend to work in that area where they got two employees for one salary. On the Monday I returned and told him it was no go.

17 comments:

  1. I like the idea that the wives had a say in the proceedings, but it must have been disappointing for your dad not being able to take the job. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The disappointment was more from the pressure he was feeling of not knowing what he wanted to do. A job to take care of his wife or schooling leading to a better job.

      Delete
  2. If it were the other way for me in this day and age that I had to ask my husbands approval to take a job, I would be like, it's not his decision, it's mine. (I've never been married) Those things would be difficult for me (If I got married) to have to ask my husband for approval to do something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad didn't make it clear in the chapter. He didn't need my mother's permission for him to take the job. He needed her consent to work at the same job, but she would not earn a salary. She said she would not work without pay so he had to turn the job down.

      Delete
  3. It's a good thing your mother had sense to say they got two workers for the price of one. But I also believe, since I have never been married, education is the most important thing a person can have. I've worked and gone to school nights. I managed to get both my Bachelor's my Master's degree at night. It's a problem that may still be practiced in some communities today, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was at a time when college wasn't for everyone. Most people after high school went into the workforce. so Dad was wrestling with the pressure get a job or got to school to get a better future

      Delete
  4. This is getting interesting......I'm on pins and needles waiting to find out what happens next, even though I know he became a lawyer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's the ole saying; it's not "what" you know but "who" you know. Charlie Arnold must have been well liked ! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting about the wives expected to work also ...good for Mary - ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she was all for working but wanted to get paid

      Delete
  7. It must have been quite an adjustment to return home after the war and all that adventure and then pick up normal life again. It might have been welcoming to come home, but of course no one diagnosed PSD at that point -not that your Dad had it, but I bet some veterans did. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Returning home must have been very surreal. And the pressure to get a job instead of going to school.

      Delete
  8. That is very interesting CJ! I agree with your mom, she should get paid too, but I feel bad for your dad. I can't wait to find out what happens!

    ReplyDelete