Monday, May 6, 2019

Happy Mail


Recently, I participated in a mail exchange hosted by Tiggy from Scotland. Back in the early to mid90s when the Internet and home computers was still sort of new, many calligraphers stumbled up a Listserve called Cyberscribes. Someone set up a chat room, and a bunch of us would hang out talk calligraphy, laugh, cry, the whole gamut that friends do. There were all sorts of art exchanges, ATCs, envelopes, small books. As the group grew and technology change, the listserve and chatroom became obsolete. No matter, many of us kept in touch by e-mail, exchanges, and meeting each other in person at conferences.

Then Facebook happened and with posts and messages, it's almost like the old listserve. Tiggy must have been feeling nostalgic so back in March asked people if they wanted to participate in a one on one exchange. You send something to one person, and they would send something back to you. The exchange would take place during the month of April.

I was partnered with long-time friend, Langley, from British Columbia in Canada. So I was tickled blue when her package arrived. An envelope covered in stamps, a pretty blue envelope beautifully addressed, and inside a very cool, clear pocket pencil case stuffed with fun goodies. Tiny brushes, a pretty notepad, small index cards, a lovely note, some erasers, and a couple of small, hard plastic, pouches to keep small papers from getting crushed. The pencil case fits perfectly in my tool tote and will keep me organized at workshops.

Thanks again, Langley. The pencil case is very cool, but your friendship is a real treasure.

22 comments:

  1. Nice happy mail. You sound like you found a good group. It's good to have the artistic support seeing the average person you deal with just doesn't get the art thing. I know our families put up with us and learn to get it, but art support is important. Hope you have a super day with all this sun. Wish I didn't have to be inside a classroom all day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could take a mental health day or call in sick
      =^,.^=

      Delete
  2. Cool indeed, but as you say, true friendship is the greatest treasure. Enjoy your new goodies! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that you found your 'tribe'! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is THAT? IMO, one of the few "upsides" to the internet world is helping us keep in touch with friends that we can not necessarily just pic up the phone and call. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love happy mail-enjoy!
    Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always fun to receive an envelope full of goodies in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a bunch of neat goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh. What a blast from the past. LISTSERVE was what we used when I was at Wichita State. I made so many friends and was able to stay in touch with them for years, too. Although I had a home computer and the internet (via dial up), I did all my "visiting" at school where there were SO many lists you could join or at least wander through. So glad you shared that blast from the past.

    I've never been on Facebook and never will be. Sorry, dear, but I am only a blogger. However, I love the idea of one on one art exchanges and you got a wonderful (and as Sandra put it) PURRFECT gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter what the medium is. Listserve, Twitter, Facebook, Blogging, Instagram, etc., what's important are the connections that are made.

      Delete
  9. People complain about FB, but I enjoy how it enables folks to keep in touch. It's wonderful that y'all were able to recreate your former joy on a new platform :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like any platform, there are good and bad. But to be able to keep in touch with friends and colleagues, and to learn, share, that is joy.

      Delete
    2. If you ever want to connect on FB let me know and I'll send you my real-life name. Of course, it's all local stuff and politics these days lol, but I have connected with a couple of fellow bloggers there.

      Delete
  10. How nice - I use to join in forums back in the day and got to know some people really well and actually met a few - one was as I had a layover on Portland Airport on my way to Spokane a forum friend met up with me to meet in person because she lived in Portland. those were the days - . I imagine this group was so much fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is nice happy mail, enjoy all your new goodies.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun!!!! I love happy mail! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete