Monday, March 2, 2020

Second on the Second - Work in Progress

From 2. March 2010. This post describes part of the process for preparing a piece. The quote chosen was "If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon" and was to be my entry for the WAM faculty art show.

Now that I have my quote, I need to decide what it will look like and where/how it will be used. Since I will be given a space to hang my artwork, this piece will be a framed work instead of making a small book, box or some other 3D piece.

I draw quick and dirty thumbnails of various ways to write out the quote. I don't need to write the quote out. Just a few lines and squiggles to indicate where things will go. This gives me an idea of what it will look like before going through the trouble of writing it out in pen and ink with the illustration. Thumbnails are a big time-saver. If I hate the layout at 2 inches big, I'm not going to love it any better when it's 10 inches big.

I can write the quote in a circle with the illustration in the center. Write the quote in a straight line or lines with the illustration above. Write the qoute in a curve above the illustration. Write the quote in a curve below the illustration. I can divide the quote into four sections and write each section along an edge of the paper with the illustration in the center. I can go on and on with possible layouts by tossing in how I will hold the paper: portrait or landscape.

The previous layout of this quote was done in a circle with the illustration in the center of the circle.

This is the layout I like best and the one I'll use.

How do you go about planning your work?

Follow the link to see the finished piece Don't Tickle the Dragon 

It's your turn to play. From Elizabeth: Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Join hosts Bleubeard and Elizabeth to see what else is being served up the Second Time Around.

26 comments:

  1. Fun planning sketch. I don't really plan anything, I just do, which often makes problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire those of you that plan things out-I never do I just go for it in the moment-which does not always end up as well as it should sometimes.
    Thanks for the link of the results-beautiful Happy second on the 2nd Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With calligraphy, if a work isn't planned out ahead of time, all the text being used may not fit.

      Delete
    2. Yes I can see that-I am so bad with math-I am all set now to try the calligraphy-I am a bit afraid too for some reason-but soon will jump in

      Delete
  3. Great way to do planning for the piece. I like how the end result looked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Alphabet Sunday Shot

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I don't plan. But of course with calligraphy you will have to. I get most of my elements together and shove them around on the page until it looks right.
    I just went to the link of the finished 'dragon'. It is beautiful!
    See you tomorrow at the T-Party,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoving elements around on a page is a type of planning. 😉

      Delete
  6. Wait, you _plan_ these things?! But I don't do calligraphy, so I'm gonna take comfort in that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. … can you believe it's the 2nd March!!!
    Have a good month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so frustrated. I can't seem to stay on the internet today. I've rebooted and restarted my modem and router more times than I care to mention. This is a great work in progress, but the finished piece is out of this world. I had NO idea that dragons were blue. Thanks for this second look on the 2nd, which is a first look for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I like your planning process. It is great to see your thought process. Hope you enjoyed the nice weather today. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy today. Was the perfect day to wash curtains and windows in the kitchen and dining room

      Delete
  10. Your piece turned out gorgeous CJ! You are so talented! I think I just go with the flow, but sometimes, I might do a pencil sketch first. Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete