Saturday, July 29, 2017

It's Hip To Be A Square

Unless you're an envelope being mailed through the US Postal Service. I made a square envelope for an exchange I was participating in. I decided to use the bird stamps and decorated the envelope. Four stamps would be more than enough postage to get the envelope to Europe. Square envelopes require extra postage. I was pleased with how it turned out. All was right in my world until I got to the post office.

Usually, I get to the post office before 2 PM. That's when S's shift ends. She doesn't mind mail art and is always very careful handling the envelope, and she always hand cancels the postage.

There was a new clerk on the counter. Or maybe just new to me.

"This is a problem." He frowned. "It's square. This won't do. It can't be machined." He looked at me as if I was supposed to take the envelope home and redo it as a #10 business envelope. [long rectangle]

"It's mail art. Just tell me if there is sufficient postage to get the envelope to Germany." I had brought extra stamps, just in case.

"Yes, there's more than enough postage."

"Good. Would you kindly hand cancel the postage for me?"

He hand cancelled the stamps, and I was surprised he carefully stamped a single cancellation mark in the center of the four stamps.

"I'll tell you what I'll also do."

He took another rubber stamp and in red stamped By Airmail -Par Avion to the left of the stamps. My turn to frown. If a stamp had to be placed, I would have rather it was stamped with Mit Luftpost as this envelope was going to Germany. At least he didn't write all over my envelope as another clerk did a very long time ago and ruined my entry in a mail art contest.

He put the envelope in the outgoing mail tote, and I sighed with relief.

As to the airmail rubber stamp, I thought all mail outside the borders of the United States was sent by air. I thought sending mail by boat hasn't happened since 1927 when Lindy flew across the Atlantic Ocean. Who knows, maybe I'm square. Hopefully, the envelope will arrive safely at its destination.

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful envelope you created with the cat and birdie, it made me smile 😀. Glad you got it posted off ok. Here in the UK we can send mail to the US by air and surface mail. Surface mail goes by sea freight, it's a lot slower usually 2-4 weeks but also cheaper too 😁. Enjoy your weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought by sea would only be for packages. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, too.

      Delete
  2. And this lovely envelope just dropped into my mail box, in good condition and not damaged, thanks so much for the lovely ATC and the other contents, I'll show them at TSFT next week, if that's okay with you. Square envelopes are always a problem here, too, the post does not think it's hip to be square! Thanks again! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, the envelope arrived quickly. I thought it would take at least 10 days to get to you. Hooray for the Posties. And I'd be flattered if you showed my ATC for TSFT.

      Delete
  3. Love your envelope. I remember you showing me the clothesline lettering technique. Your pointed pen looks awesome. Cute idea of cat and bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of these postal clerks are just rude. We have one now at our little post office. I asked for one of those (name escapes me) mailings where you can see that it is delivered.Maybe a tad over doing it, but it was my husband's passport and these days you can't be careful. He decided to lecture me and go on about my choice. None of which is his business. Anyhow, I can relate. Hope it was a good birthday and you are making a weekend out of it. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the postal clerks do a great job. But you always get that one. Having a fun birthday weekend.

      Delete
  5. I feel sorry for the postal workers....they get it from both sides...their managers and the public. I stand in line often (in a city of 175,500 we only have two staffed offices)and as I wait the other people talk disrespectfully about the workers loud enough for them to hear. I once spoke up and asked them "What part about don't piss off the people who you are waiting for help from don't you understand?" I wasn't appreciated.... :-/ LOL They have a thankless job with unreasonable expectations. AND they are expected to explain to us the convoluted rules and regulations that even they don't understand....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun envelope. Val will love it.
    Good job, CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Square envelopes are always a problem and require extra postage. I know many people in the UK seem to send square cards, but I've never been fond of them because they cost extra and I'm CHEAP, or at least frugal. LOVE the envelope, though.

    I had a similar problem trying to mail Chris's ATC. The clerk told me the envie was too thick and I had to make it a large envelope, which upped the price. Thankfully, I never place stamps on the envie until I know it will go overseas. So, I took it home, removed it from the carefully colored and stamped envie and repacked it. It didn't go out till the next day as a result.

    What was ironic was, even though I had all the stamps in my hand, when she told me the new charge, she started to create metered mail. I said no thanks and practically grabbed the envie off the scale. I don't have a nice postal person where I live, but at least she hadn't already printed out the metered part. Glad yours went smoother than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I need to get to the post office early so S. can handle mail for me. Will have to tell her she won't be able to retire :-D

      Delete
  8. I love the envelope CJ!! Beautifully done! I hope it got to Germany ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it arrived in Germany safe, sound, and a lot quicker than I thought it would

      Delete