Thursday, October 5, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

After my 21st birthday, I began seeing more of the girl who at some point I would propose and be your future mother.

She also insisted that I ask her father if I could take his daughter out on dates.

He gave permission but made sure that I understood his rules of returning at 11:00 PM and "no monkey business."

Mary's Family
He was somewhat reluctant to allow his daughter to go out with me because he and my father did not get along. They never would.

Before this time, if I went out with Mary to the movies, I had to have her sister come with us. It was not to my liking. I did not go for a chaperone. It lasted a good while.

Eventually, this stopped and it was my feeling that Concordia [ed: Mary's mother] pushed him in this direction. Because when I went to pick Mary up is expression at times indicated that he wasn't happy with the idea. Concordia would say, "Did you forget your youth?"

Our relationship was wonderful and I would on those days that I was off which was on a Monday I would pick her up at work.

And I was also invited to her company's picnic. [ed: Mary worked as a stitcher for The Carver Dress Company on Kneeland St. in Boston.]  As she told her employer what I did for wor. And I was asked to run some games and events. Which I did.

Everyone had a good time and I began fitting in with her boss. He saw me waiting for Mary and he said go wait upstairs. Don't wait down the street anymore.

The first time that I waited outside the employee entrance, your mother to be was surprised. She informed me that he never let anyone wait upstairs. He would even come out and talk with me at times.

Our relationship continued to grow. At the same time, she began taking me to visit her friends and also her mother's uncle and cousin. [ed: Dad, what were their first and last names?!]

15 comments:

  1. Ah, we are finally through with high school and now begins the courting stage of your parents adventure. It sounds like your father eventually made friends with his future father-in-law. However, it's too bad your dad and Mary's dad never got along.

    Thanks for sharing, even though it certainly left you with some unanswered questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my mother, her father loved my dad. After the war when my parents were living with Ma's parents and Dad was going to school at night, when it was time for supper, her father would save the first portion of food for Dad before anyone could take their meal. That way, Dad wasn't eating leftovers.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh, it's getting more interesting now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is really fun to read. Things were a lot stricter back then! Glad they got together anyway! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for the "born in America" generation. Their upbringing was still old world. Dad had gotten a taste of how the "Americans" lived when he lived with Charlie and Doris. He wasn't happy with the old world rules.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful story to read and never disappoints. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CJ....what a wonderful chapter this week; you must be SOOO happy your dad chronicled his life like this ♥

    how many of us have asked dad, mom, grandparents; say...what was it like or how did you meet up; etc etc etc..... yet never bother to RECORD it; I kick myself for it, from the stories I have...just to my memory now, that's all ~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad he did this. Some of the stories I've heard, but some are new. Or I heard the story from Ma's point of view and now hear it from Dad's.

      Write those stories down.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm sure Dad didn't find having Ma's sister tag along on their dates romantic. :-D

      Delete
  7. This is really a wonderful story. And I love the old family photo. It must be wonderful to read about your parent's romance. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is priceless CJ!!! Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete