Monday, August 27, 2018

Old School

In January, when the Eldest first moved into her apartment, the real estate agent she dealt with was able to get some living room furniture. Inside the drawer of a side table we found this old, mail scale.

You attach the clip to your envelope, hold the ring, and the metal arrow indicates how many ounces your envelope weighs. Then you know whether your envelope can go first class (currently fifty cents for a regular sized envelope weighing one ounce. Postage for square or unusually shaped envelopes start at seventy-one cents.) or if the envelope needs extra postage.

I asked the Eldest if I could have the scale. Since I was flying home, I wasn't sure what TSA would make of it, and didn't want to run the risk of having it confiscated. It's unusual and just too cool.

I took the scale home with me when we visited the Eldest last month.

14 comments:

  1. I'm in LUST. I have a scales collection and my heart is pitter pattering about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a digital scale, but there's something to be said about analog

      Delete
  2. I have exactly the same scale, got it at a flea market many years ago. It is really fabulous. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool! I would love one of these things!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye out for one when you go to the flea market

      Delete
  4. How cool! I used to have one of the boring scales to measure mail for postage but nothing so wonderful as this :) A fun find. Of course these days I never send out any mail but bills....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool scale. I'm glad it has found a good home, and didn't get confiscated by TSA. Stay cool in this heat. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, curtains closed in the sunroom to block out the afternoon sun. AC running. Hope you were comfortable in school

      Delete