Tuesday, August 21, 2018

T Stands for Small Town Eats

A glimpse at some of the small town eateries on our trip through South Carolina, Ohio, and our daughter's apartment in Pennsylvania


First up, lunch with Moopa and Mooma at 



I had BBQ chicken, sweet potato fries (chips), cole slaw, and hush puppies which are little balls of deep fried cornmeal, onion, and spices. They are a traditional Southern soul food side-dish. Supposedly getting their name as a small tidbit to keep the dogs quiet while cooking outside. Whatever their etymology, they are good eats. I didn't bother with the different BBQ sauce for my chicken. The chicken reminded me of the seasoning Ma used on her chicken that Dad would cook on the grill during Summer cookouts. The chicken was perfect without the added sauce.


Bubba's had some fun pig kitsch in the restaurant like this flying pig lamp


and these knick knacks.


Before going home, Moopa took us for a Southern breakfast


Eggs, bacon, fluffy biscuits, and grits. I love grits. While we were eating, one of the regulars was making the rounds chatting with all the patrons. He say "Hi" to Moopa and told a joke. He reminded me of Dad.


Fun bric-a-brack at the Dutch Plate 2. Look even the Grim Reaper comes here for breakfast!


The original restaurant owner sold the restaurant. The new owner didn't want to upset the clientele so pretty much kept the menu though the name of the business had to be changed. Dutch Plate II


The restaurant is in a tiny town, called Campobello and is next door to the town hall. Next to the town hall is the police station and courthouse. The sign on the door reminds people to dress appropriately for court and to mind their conduct. I think Moopa said the population of Campobello is 500 people. And I thought my town was small with a population of 9,000.


Next door to the hotel in Heath, Ohio was a Big Boy with the iconic statute.


The food wasn't that great.


The Eldest's garden a week after we helped her plant her flowers.

                                               

She had wanted a Foreman grill for her birthday. She used it to make a delicious Saturday night supper. Grilled swordfish, small potatoes, grilled squash, onions, mushrooms, and a salad. 

When she moved, we weren't able to fit everything in her little car. For those of you who have followed my Throwback Thursday Notebooks series, you will recall my dad's mentors, Charlie and his wife, Doris. Doris' favorite color was pink. She even had a pink kitchen. When Doris was downsizing after Charlie passed away, she gave my mother some pink Depression glassware, some champagne, water goblets, cake plates, a cake dish, and a Christmas dish.

The Eldest's favorite color is pink. When Ma passed away, I told The Eldest the pink Depression glassware would be hers, if she wanted it. When she was 4 years old, we took a trip to visit Doris. The Eldest has a vague recollection of the visit. She remembered playing with some antique toys that Doris had. 

All this to get to the point that the Eldest set her table with the pink glasses. She had bought a nice bottle of Chardonnay which she and I had in the champagne glasses. Himself had milk in a water goblet, and the Young One had water.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

39 comments:

  1. Oh hush puppies. I love where they get their name, and they are so good to eat. Grits, not my favorite. My husband grew up in Georgia for a couple of years before they moved back north and that was his nickname. I always think of him at the mention of grits. Everything looks so yummy, especially those hush puppies. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever get to meet him, I'll have to call him Grits. :-D

      Delete
  2. Looks like such a nostalgic trip back in time. What memories of the food, bric-a -brac and surroundings! Such a lovely meal your daughter made and then to share it in the special glasses. Nice. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves to cook and was happy to have pretty things to set her table.

      Delete
  3. What a great trip! I love to check out new diners and places I have never been to before. That pig lamp was funny!!

    I also have a George Foreman grill and it is awesome to grill with. How wonderful that your daughter can appreciate that kitchenware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly ate well while on vacation. Bubba's was a hoot and I loved that pigs fly, too. Their kitsch was perfect for a place called Bubba's.

    The first time I had hush puppies was when I went to Missouri. If you love deep fat fried balls of seasoned cornmeal and grease, these are the thing for you (grin, because I liked them the first time I had them). The sweet potato fries and drink appealed to me. I'm not a big fan of chicken and will NEVER eat dark meat. Period.

    Had to laugh at the saying on the coffee/tea cup at The Dutch Plate. The biscuits looked good, but I am NOT a fan of grits. Maybe because I'm not a fan of hominy.

    That swordfish looked great. Your daughter has certainly learned to cook well. And those pink depression glasses are beautiful. Thanks for sharing these latest meals and drinks with us for T this Tuesday. Like I said, you certainly know how to eat well (like a princess)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eldest loves to cook. She did a lot of the cooking when she was living at home. She experimented a lot and got a lot of practice.

      Delete
  5. Ok I am really hungry now with all these good eats. Loved the story with pink depression ware. didn't know there were still big boys around-and I do love a good hush puppy-so good
    Happy T Day wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were surprised to see the Big Boy. Sad the food wasn't as nostalgic as the statue

      Delete
  6. Wow, so much food choice today - yum! I love grits and I could just eat the southern breakfast ...lol 😉. Your eldest's garden is beautiful and its amazingahow much it grew in a week! Those tuna steaks with the veggies and salad look delicious and the pink glassware is pretty and even more special when it's a family heirloom 😁. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a great job cooking the swordfish. I'm sure Doris and Ma would be happy to know the Eldest is enjoying using the pink glasses.

      Delete
  7. I can't think of anything better than those little independent diners across the south -I love hush puppies!- unless it's a homemade feast like the one your daughter made. Looks delicious! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eldest did a great job with dinner. Even better than not having to cook was not having to clean up!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, you did great tour of those eateries. Love the look of the southern breakfast, yummy. And the pink pig is sweeeeeeeeeeeet! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some very yummy looking food from your travels. Your Eldest made such a pretty plate of food and I love that little story about the pink depression glass. Beautiful!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ate well on the trip especially when the Eldest did the cooking

      Delete
  10. You make the best posts CJ! I love your pictures and your descriptions! You had some good eats!! Sorry about Big Boy. We don't have that in Canada. The chicken looks so good! One of these days, I have to try grits! The meal your daughter made looks so good! I love the story about the pink glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not missing anything by not having a Big Boy, imnsho. Grits are pretty bland just ground hominy usually served with butter and salt.

      Delete
  11. Everything looks delish....I would write more but I have to go eat something now....lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you had a number of great meals on your trip away. The restaurants looked interesting and welcoming, but I was really drawn to look at the delicious fish dish your daughter cooked. She is a good cook.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to see old dishes being used isn't it? I don't think they were ever meant to just be looked at.. Hushpuppies.. i have never acquired a taste for them.. Loved seeing your eatery ! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think old dishes should be used, too. Pink is not my color so I didn't want them, but didn't want to throw them out. They were too good to send to charity. I'm happy she wanted them as a memento of two fabulous women.

      Delete
  14. I love the tidbit about the etymology of hush puppies, CJ. Not sure I'd love the food though ;-)

    A flying pig lamp - how cool. "When pigs fly" - lol. I don't think I'd like to meet the Grim Reaper when I go to a restaurant. But Bubba's looks like a fun and friendly place.

    Sorry to hear the Big Boy restaurant wasn't up to snuff. The one in Milwauke is a fond teenage memory.

    What a lovely meal the Eldest made for you. All on the Foreman grill? Wow! I love mine but haven't gotten that creative with it. I'm glad the pink Depression glass stayed in the family.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Big Boy didn't live up to the hype I heard about the restaurant. At least this one didn't.

      Delete
  15. everything looks incredible..
    Love the pink dishes!
    I used to love hush puppies..but I can't eat fried food anymore:(
    her garden is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh you've made me hungry now with all this food. But it was fun to see all the different things and to learn about the hush puppies. I have no idea what grits are (Mr Google here I come!) but most people don't seem to like them.
    The pink glasses are very special. Not something for everyday, but certainly worth keeping, especially with such a story attached to them.
    I love the flying pig lamp. We had something similar at work in the nurses' station, hanging from the ceiling. There was a cord hanging from it. When pulled, the wings would flap. So funny. 'Pigs might fly', we would say!
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grits are ground hominy, corn. Not quite like corn meal. I think they might be an acquired taste. I had a friend in jr. high whose family was from Georgia. She made grits for lunch one day while I was over. I liked them.

      Delete
  17. Forgot to say that I too have a George Foreman grill and I love it! But I also remember him as a boxer as my late (first) husband loved boxing (but that was many years ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself bought us a Foreman grill. I love it. Easy, fast cooking and clean up

      Delete
  18. I love Southern cooking! And Buba’s would definitely be a place I would want to go. I am impressed with Eldest’s cooking , too. Grilled swordfish? Really? In a George Foreman? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, grilled swordfish on the Foreman grill. You just need to make sure the swordfish isn't too thick.

      Delete
  19. I am just hungry now after this fantastic post !
    Happy T-Day!
    Big hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you won't gain weight reading the post =^,.^=

      Delete
  20. You certainly came across some interesting places to eat! The meal at your daughter's looks delicious! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the good and very helpful information. It is very interesting and everything looks delicious.
    เที่ยวภาคไหน

    ReplyDelete