Thursday, November 29, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Cut glass pitcher Ma bought at an
antique shop on her honeymoon 75 years ago
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

The next day we left for our honeymoon in a nice family home that had a few guests in New Hampshire. I forgot the place but it was a nice place for us. A man and wife ran it and there were two other married couples. It was wonderful.

My wife left and when got to Boston she remembered that she left her watch there. I called and the people there got our address and sent it to us.

Years later, Mary, or I should say your mother, she lost a number of things and these days it's even worse. But I can't complain on this. I put things away for safe keeping and they are so safe that I can't find whatever I wished to save. Eventually I do find them after a good while.

I had two weeks [ed: furlough] it seemed so short.

One thing that came to mind, one night in New Hampshire your mother went up early and I stayed down talking with them. After a good while one of the women asked me how long we had been married. My answer was we are on our honeymoon. They looked at each other and I knew what they were thinking. He should be upstairs with his bride. What kind of man is this?

Our honeymoon was over and after returning to East Boston I said good-bye the next morning and returned to Florida. And when I arrived at my post I saw everything strewn all over the place. Boxes all around with shipping labels.

I looked at the labels and we were to go West. All along I wished that I could be sent to Europe where I might have a chance to see my grandparents, cousins, etc.

12 comments:

  1. That must have been hard on your father....to know what his relatives in Europe were going through and not be able to help them. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I also think he wanted to make a connection, and to meet the grandparents he never knew

      Delete
    2. Not easy to get married and have to part so soon, those were hard times. Valerie

      Delete
    3. Very. After the honeymoon, he left for his base in Florida and she returned to live with her parents. Dad was mustered out of the service Christmas 1945. My parents continued to live with her parents until 1949 when the Brother came along.

      Delete
    4. So hard on the both of your parents! I love the glass pitcher! Big Hugs!

      Delete
    5. Hard on lots of young couples who were married at during the war. Ma gave the pitcher to me when I first got married. It's in my studio holding a bunch of pussy willows.

      Delete
  2. Somehow I seem to have missed something, CJ. I don't remember him even getting engaged, much less married. I knew they were serious, but didn't realize they were married. Then I went back and looked at previous Thursday posts and realized I had actually MISSED the one where they got engaged and their beautiful wedding photo. They certainly made a beautiful couple. I just feel bad I missed it. Now the honeymoon and the eventual aging and possible Alzheimers rolled into one post.











    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Elizabeth. You caught Dad's rambling. He's the one that had Alzheimer's. Ma had a stroke and then dementia set it.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if these memories made your dad happy or sad. And how hard it must be to realize that your memory is going. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for the most part, these were happy memories. Dad would get frustrated when he couldn't remember things like knowing what he wanted, but he couldn't find the word for it. Several times he told me, he felt like he was losing his mind.

      Delete