Monday, November 8, 2021

Engagement Card



Our niece (Himself's side of the family) became engaged last month. I made a card combining ideas from "The Illustrated Lace Butterfly Card" and "Fold- Out Butterfly Thank You" from The Postman's Knock. TPK offered free butterfly downloads, but I didn't use them.

I used the Scan n Cut machine to cut butterflies from colored cardstock and sheet music I photocopied onto paper. I also added antennae for a little bit of bling.


The large butterfly in the middle sort of pops up. Following old-fashioned etiquette rules, I wished the niece (engaged couple) "Happiness on your engagement. It was considered improper to wish a young woman congratulations.

16 comments:

  1. I was taught "Best Wishes' to the bride to be and "Congratulations" to the Groom to be. I guess we had the same 'teacher'! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd always heard that, too, that you say "congratulations" to the man but "best wishes" to the woman. I like the color and the butterfly pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is close to the kitchen in the niece's new home.

      Delete
  3. Funny about how they didn't offer the young woman congratulations. That is interesting. Your card is so pretty with those butterflies and the blue. I think it makes a great engagement card for your husband's niece. Hope you're enjoying this nice day. I've got the sliding door open for some fresh air-love it! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet card! Oh, we are so boring, we just got married!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Niece isn't having an engagement party. At least I don't think she is. I saw her at her grandfather's Celebration of Life and she showed me her ring. I just wanted to mark the occasion for her with a card.

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful card and your handwriting makes it even more special. Sorry I've never heard that rule before. I guess I need to read Emily Post (if she still exists).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily Post still exists though some rules, like possibly only wishing a woman "best wishes" instead of "congratulations" may be outdated. Miss Manners might be a little more modern for etiquette rules and there may be others.

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful card :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sitting here with one question....What can't you do? lol. Love what you did. I have all the time in the world and i sit here thinking I would like to create and hardly ever do anything.

    ReplyDelete