Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Control Journal

 

Today, I'll be updating my control journal. My control journal is a hard copy of documents that prove homeownership (like a real estate tax bill, utility bill) and other documents that would be needed in case of an emergency. In case the house burned down, there was a flood, or alien invasion. It's the first thing to be grabbed during such an event. All the documents are kept in a 3 ring binder.

The journal contains a list of emergency contacts, doctors' numbers, home and car insurance policies, identification, etc.

It also occurred to me, since we are getting older, this notebook will help the girlies with things they would need in case we are no longer capable of making our own decisions and documents to close the estate like the attorney's phone number, copies of healthcare proxy, power of attorney, insurance policies, social security numbers, bank statements, etc. Everything in one place.

Do you have a control journal?

19 comments:

  1. We have a folder, but I hadn't thought about including real estate tax bills. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any utility bill that shows your residence will do. I just think real estate tax bill looks more official

      Delete
    2. And renters have utility bills, so that wouldn't serve here to document ownership just residence. Property taxes, though, I'm gonna include those bills.

      Delete
  2. Ours is a fireproof box. When we moved from up north is was my 'base camp' for everything we needed. The boys were very impressed every time I reached into it and pulled out exactly the right documents needed (but they were much younger and more easily impressed back then....lol)😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need one. We have ours stored together but a binder would be much easier to handle. Have fun CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I don't but its a good idea. I have almost everything on my computer, but a book to grab is a better idea. Thanks! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of the paper documents as a backup just in case you can't access a computer or if your digital file becomes corrupted.

      Delete
  5. Do you have a control journal?

    Yes :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea. And here i've only been making sure i save them my debts, ...Just kidding...anyway good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I have all documents in one place, last will included, Ingo and Bro know where it is and I have dipat, that´s online. On my health-ID-card is the address and doctors and family can see there what my wishes are in case I cannot decide no more.
    Like... no keeping me alive if my brain was out 3+ minutes, to give my organs away and so on.

    Sadly my Brother, who has two daughters, not even made his last will. Nor has his wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the girlies were little, we didn't have a will. It wasn't until my parents passed and I was running all over looking for documents that we decided we needed to make things easier for the girlies when our time came around

      Delete
  8. I haven't even considered making one of these. I guess I need to start thinking about doing that. I guess it's never too early. And to think I thought I was organized. Guess that goes to show I have a lot to learn about organization! Thanks for putting this in my head, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just something we don't always think about, but good to have stuff in place just in case we don't live forever.

      Delete