Saturday, November 27, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library


When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  A self-made millionaire tries to pursue and woo a wealthy, young women he loved in his youth. If you haven't read this book, you can read it for free at Project Gutenberg, you can find it at your public library or favorite bookstore. 

15 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one, perhaps I will one day....Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book when I was younger, then saw the films, neither of which were as good as what I had imagined, although both enjoyable. Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen the film with Robert Redford as Gatsby

      Delete
  3. I read this so long ago I don't really remember it. But I have seen both (that I know of) versions of the film-with Robert Redford and Leo DiCaprio. One day I should reread the book I guess. Hope you are warm and had a nice Saturday. I'm late coming by as we had no power this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen the Redford film. And back in 1974 when it was released, took a trip to Rosecliff, the mansion used for Gatsby's mansion in Newport, RI. Just so I could walk on the grounds where Redford walked. 😻

      Delete
  4. Another high school reading requirement! I think I enjoyed it....maybe? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw the movie, but I read the book. Ah, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen the film but not read the book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to see books instead of reading them lately

      Delete
  7. I've read it and found it a depressing book. I want that much money so I can show people how it should be done ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say money can't buy happiness, but you can sure try

      Delete
  8. I saw the film and didn't read the book!

    ReplyDelete