Saturday, November 20, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library

 

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

Back in the olden days when computer were the size of houses, when one wanted to look up information to do a school report one went to the library to look things up in the encyclopedia. I was very lucky as a child as we had two full sets of encyclopedia at home. The Golden Book Encyclopedia (for children) and The Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia. The encyclopedia were upstairs in the attic room that later became my dad's office. One of my favorite things to do was to go upstairs, randomly pick a volume, flip to something and read. Hours and hours of entertainment.

When you were a kid, did you ever read the encyclopedia just for fun?

23 comments:

  1. Just for fun, no, geek, you xx ;-)
    But I read a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I loved reading encyclopedias, I still do! Back then my auntie had a full set of encyclopedia Britannica, and for me it was a magical place to dive into! Have a great weekend! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a dream to own a set of Encyclopedia Britannica

      Delete
  3. I was a voracious reader when I was a kid and my favourite place to be was at the library. I remember that the librarian used to ask me to go and wash my hands each time before touching the books. There was a series of natural history books designed for young readers, one on birds, another on wildflowers, a third on trees etc and I would check them out constantly. My love of both reading and learning has been the one constant in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library was the best place. Oh, you just reminded me, we had a natural history encyclopedia, too. Thanks for another happy memory

      Delete
  4. Yes, as a child, I did read the encyclopedia just for fun. It was full of fascinating information. (I had forgotten I used to do that.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also used to love reading encyclopedia articles. You could learn so much that way. Maybe that's why I also like Wikipedia. It's sad they don't exist any more, but I guess there is no market. I know kids wouldn't pick one up in a school library if they could find it online. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the Internet, you have everything at your fingertips.

      Delete
  6. actually Yes it was a big money splurge for our parents but she bought us a set of encyclopedias and I remember to save allot of money she bought the cheapest binding for the books. I miss the old libraries, I grew up visiting the library too very often with my Mom and siblings and choosing books-Mom had to approve though- but after getting married we never lived near a good library or it was extremely expensive so now I mostly buy books if I want them
    I was forced to take piano lessons which I did not like at all so I can relate to your dancing lessons. enjoyed your post Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my parents bought the Funk and Wagnalls set, a volume a week, at the grocery store. I would have preferred piano lessons to dancing lessons.

      Delete
  7. My Grandparents Were Huge Britannica Encyclopedia Collectors - The Older 1970's Edition And I Loved Those Photos And Illustrations - Haven't Thought About That It Years - Thanx For The Walk My Friend

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, YEEEESSSS! It would take me FOREVER to look something up because I'd get lost reading all the other interesting things before I got to the one I needed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also read encyclopedias for hours. Back then I was always looking up something I wanted to learn about. Still do, but now I use the internet to find what I'm looking for. So many choices, so little time.

    BTW, I don't want snow any more than you, but it made a great journal page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Internet is such a treasure with the things you can look up and find out about

      Delete
  10. Yes! Encyclopedias always made for good reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still do even if some of the info is a little outdated.

      Delete
  11. Those were the days!
    We had a full set of Encyclopaedia Britannica, I did enjoy using it :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete