Thursday, November 11, 2021

Unboxing the Alphabet

For the WAM faculty art show, I decided to make a concertina book held by a belly band.


Only that wasn't enough, I made an origami presentation box with lid, too.



Book and belly band


Book without belly band


The concertina or accordion fold book has 10 pages. The end pages are glued to the covers for a total of 8 pages for writing. The book starts with the letter A decorated for Winter


The top bowl of the B illustrates Spring and the bottom bowl for Summer. The letter C is decorated for Autumn/Fall.


Text pages. Verso: "Each of us has his own alphabet with which to create poetry." Oops, I forgot to give author, Irving Stone credit. The alphabet is written out and a variation ending on the Recto for the Alphabet Song: Now you know your ABCs, next time won't you write with me?


The last 3 pages provided a way for me to sign my work.


Sumi ink, gouache, watercolor, 23 karate gold (because I can) written with a Brause 1 mm. on Arches Text Wove. The book measures 2.5 inches square.

28 comments:

  1. Your life's work is displayed in this very awesome handmade book-so beautiful CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the book is stunning! And the box for it is an added beauty. I love Ink with his angel wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That is impressive! (....and you chose the correct button for the band.....lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue button was the one Vincent and I liked best

      Delete
  4. Wow! So much beauty in such a small space, this will be a wonderful addition to the art display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing CJ. I’m glad you shared it. Those illuminated letters look wonderful Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure my first comment went through. I love how this came out CJ and I’m glad you shared it. The illuminated letters are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both comments came through. Now, I'll have to wear two cowboy hats. 🤠🤠

      Delete
  7. A big WOW from me.
    This is FABULOUS.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing and wonderful. You put SO much into this and it shows. I especially like how you displayed your name and the box you created to place this tiny book in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box is cute, but didn't go with the book to be displayed. I figured it would be just something that would get lost.

      Delete
  9. Unreal - Love It - So Creative - SO Perfect - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely wonderful, hats off to you! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you sure are creative and talented. I really love what you showed here. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You are so talented! Love this CJ!

    ReplyDelete