Monday, September 11, 2017

Mermaid Tail Blanket


Besides the baby blanket, I mentioned I was also making a mermaid tail, and I was asked what a mermaid tail was (is). A mermaid tail is a blanket shaped like a cocoon or a pouch. You slip your legs in to keep you toasty. There's a decorative, tail fin sewn to the bottom of the cocoon.


The front of the blanket. The shell pattern and variegated colors of yellow, white, blue, green, aqua and yellow are supposed to resemble fish scales.


The back of the blanket is opened to make getting into the cocoon easy. The bottom of the cocoon is sewed from the feet up to the ankles or mid-calf.

I've picked turquoise to crochet the tail. I thought continuing with the variegated yarn would make the blanket too busy. I'm having some difficulty with the tail. I can't seem to get the triangle shape right.


This is what the blanket is supposed to look like with the tail attached. The pattern comes from YarnUtopia. Fortunately, the author also included a video tutorial so hopefully, I'll be able to follow along to crochet the tail.


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation, what a gorgeous garment. I'm sure everyone needs one to keep their toes cos in winter, I LOVE the idea. Have fun with the tail-fin! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a cool blanket. I like the colors you chose. I hope you model the final finished tail for us. Ha-ha . Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the colors looked like tropical fish colors.

      Delete
  3. Fun! Nish made one for Onz...super cute. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should show this to a neighbor who crochets. I doubt she would make one, but she might enjoy seeing the pattern. Saturday sounds ambitious to have it completed. It would take me a month just to crochet six rows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually worked up quite quickly, and I was able to crochet along with the video That helped a lot. I also made the small blanket as this is a toddler.

      Delete
  5. That is too cute! I love it. I need something like that at night to keep my toes warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very cute. Downside is you can't get up quickly.

      Delete
  6. That is so cool and cute! I want one! I have never heard of this before! I can't wait to see it finished! Good luck with the bottom of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the completed blanket on the post Mermaid Fin

      Delete