Saturday, February 24, 2018

Cherry Pie

When I was a kid, February was a great month. We hardly had any school. Before Presidents Day, we celebrated the birthdays of two presidents, Abraham Lincoln on 16. February, and George Washington on 22. February. And then we had February vacation. A whole week off, though it might have corresponded sometimes with George's birthday.

Now a lot of the stores would have big sales in honor of the Presidents. Just like they do now. Around Washington's birthday, my parents would sometimes take us into Boston to go to Lechmere (Leech-meer) Sales, a big department store. The store also had a gimmick, and they would give away free cherry pies. (The story goes when Georgie was a little kid, he chopped down a cherry tree, admitted his guilt when questioned by his father.) I loved going to Lechmere to get the pie. The department store is long gone, but cherry pie is still my favorite.

What's your favorite pie?

15 comments:

  1. A store with free cherry pies sounds like heaven to me. I -unfortunately- like all pies, but if pressed, I would say apricot is my fave. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had apricot pie, but it sounds delicious. I love apricots.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely memory, thanks for sharing! Well I think I may have to try all the different pies to decided which is my favourite ...lol 😉. If I had to choose it would be the yummy Blueberry Pie at Becky's Diner in Portland, Maine 😁. Happy Weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to enjoy going to Lechmere, but I did not know about them giving away cherry pies. Too bad the store isn't around anymore and too bad I missed the pies too. I have 2 favorite pies. One is blueberry (tiny native berries for sure) or chocolate cream. Now I want pie. happy Saturday. Hope you don't get too much precipitation tomorrow. I can't even say the other word anymore. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to think about it, and the weather dudes are hinting at a storm for next weekend. The devil with the bad weather, let's go have pie

      Delete
  4. Good morning, I loved this story-I remember too when we celebrated both birthdays.
    My husband loves any kind of pie and I was brought up with Mom or Grandma making pies so I love to make them too-hard to pick a favorite but I do love lemon meringue pie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, lemon meringue is another good one, too. Truth be told, there aren't many pies that I don't like. I don't like peanut butter pies.

      Delete
  5. I would have been here sooner, but I’m still having phone and internet problems from the ice storm we had two nights ago. To make matters worse, my keyboard is acting up again. I’ll just stop before I get too frustrated and say I love any kind of pie, especially meringues...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you're still having tech troubles. Hope the problems are resolved soon.

      Delete
  6. Chocolate Angel Pie!!! YUM! [Google it! ;)]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! And it sounds heavenly. See what I did there? =^,.^=

      Delete
  7. It’s good to read about your holidays and how you celebrate previous Presidents. Love your painting of the cherries 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. The cherries were from an Index Card A Day challenge from a few years ago.

      Delete
  8. I love cherry pie too! Cherry and peach are my favourite! Great memory!

    ReplyDelete