Thursday, February 1, 2018

Throwback Thursday - Mitty


I'm still in Pennsylvania and didn't want to bring my father's notebook on the trip. While unpacking in her new apartment, The Eldest had an old photograph album, and a photo she took of Mitty.

Before Ink, there was Mitty, a charcoal grey, tuxedo cat. He had the most beautiful, gold eyes. We adopted him from the Buddy Dog Humane Society. We got him in 1995 though I can't for the life of me remember what month.

Mitty was the most loving cat. I think he was just so happy to be out of the shelter. When he wanted to be picked up and cuddled, he would come up behind me and stretch up, placing his paws on the pockets of my jeans.

Every morning at 4:30 AM, he wanted to go outside. And a couple of hours later he would return and bring us a decapitated mole. Every single morning. When he wanted to come in, he would leap onto the back door screen and hang there meowing until someone helped him get his claws out of the screen.

The Young One dawdled while she ate breakfast so Mitty would jump up on the table and lap the milk from her cereal bowl to help her along.

He found he could open the door to The Eldest's room by banging his head against the door a couple of times.

Mitty was a little more dog than cat, too. He came when called. When the girlies were playing in the yard, and the neighbor's big Boxer came trotting through the yard, Mitty would chase him away. And the big dog ran away whining, too!

When I called him in at night, Mitty would sometimes sit on the Leaf Lady's fence and all I would be able to see of him would be his big, gold, full moon, eyes.

One morning at 4:30 AM, I wasn't moving fast enough to let Mitty out, he nipped me on the cheek.

He liked having raspberries blown into his belly.

Sadly, Mitty was hit by a car. His injuries so severe, he had to be put down. He died in September 1997, a week before the Blessing of the Animals at The Eldest's new school, Our Lady of the Valley.

15 comments:

  1. Mitty sounds like he was a fun and lovable character, who was able to train his humans to be at his beck and call - as it should be! Enjoy your time in Pennsylvania, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad about Mitty's death. :( He sounds like the perfect cat-friendly, loving, a part of the family. Hope you are enjoying your trip. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was double awful for me. The first time I had to make the decision to end a life, and the first time explaining to a 9 yr old and 5 year old about death.

      Delete
  3. Mitty sounds like Bleubeard before he decided to stay in the house forever. He used to go out and wasn't happy unless he was outside sitting on the front porch. Something happened one day (I don't know what, either a car or a dog), but Bleubeard came running to the screen door and jumped and jumped until I let him in. He was shaking so hard, and didn't want to leave my side for over a day. After that, he decided he didn't like the outdoors as much as he liked being near me. I have decided neither of my cats will go outside ever again, unless I'm with Bleubeard (since Squiggles shows no interest in being outside). I feel so sad about Mitty's death and his life was cut short by a careless driver. Bless him now that he's in heaven.

    Be sure to watch the Kitten Bowl on Hallmark Channel this Sunday at noon eastern time. It helps their adoption, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Bleubeard, but the fright saved him. Mitty lulled me into a false sense of security. Whenever I called him, he came from the woods out back or from the back of the Leaf Lady's house. I thought he never crossed the street, but obviously that wasn't true. So when we got Ink, I decided he would not be an outdoor cat. When he was little he tried a few times to bolt out the door, but he'd get to the bottom of the steps and the world must have seemed huge, he would run right back in the house. If we get the Hallmark channel, I'll watch.

      Delete
    2. Agreed CJ! Years back before I got married, I was dating a guy whose family allowed their cats to be indoor/outdoor. Sadly enough, my favorite cat (sweet baby boy that he was)named Pluto must have gotten either snipped by a car or fell out of a tree, but he could not keep his food or water down, Boyfriends parents took him to a cheap vet and they misdiagnosed him. I finally insisted on taking him to MY vet and after x-rays, it showed that his stomach was lodged between his heart and his lungs! Horrifying! All we could do was have him put down. Both me and my then boyfriend cried all night. After that terrible experience, I swore that I would never allow my cats outside, EVER. And never have after all of these years.

      Enjoy your trip to PA, there is some beautiful countryside as I am sure you have seen.

      Hugs!

      Delete
    3. Poor Pluto. When it comes to cats, safety comes before their happiness to roam outside.

      Didn't get to see much of PA except through a car window. Some pretty countryside and not as flat as I thought it would be! Next trip, we'll plan on seeing something in the area.

      Delete
  4. mitty....itz total lee awesum ta reed yur storree dood; we N joyed it N wished ya had had mor time ta bring molez ta mom N dad & yur familee.... de cat who used ta live down de street frum de FSG parentz used ta hang on de screen two; with all fourz...all de nayborz gotta big chuckle outta him !! pleez tell ink we said hi; we mizz him ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pee ezz....ewe iz one handsum tuxie; N ya ree mind uz oh sauce of fishbone ♥♥♥ { we had ta cut de other commint short; de bozz waz comon down de hall :) ☺☺♥♥

      Delete
    2. We don't want to get you in trouble with the bozz. Though you could send the Codmother after him. =^,.^=

      Delete
  5. OH, that was a sad ending.....but he had two great years with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitty was such a beautiful and fun cat! Love his eyes! What a personality he had. My Falco, had the same colours as your Mitty. I am so sorry he was hit by a car! Bless his heart!
    (I hope you're having a great time away!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the initial move in and unpack, I've had a bit of a vacation. It's been fun.

      Delete