Thursday, February 22, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Photograph, 1937 from Our Lady of Mount Carmel School
Alumni page.
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Also another time I climbed the new parochial school building on the outside blocks to the second floor [ed: the building was under construction at the time] I made it up to that sill and slipped because of the cement powder and went down. I landed on my feet and I felt some wind on the side of my right knee. I looked and I saw a rip and my right side of my knee opened. I went home and was sent.to the Relief Station and I walked a good distance , entered the Relief Station as it was called and showed the nurse the open skin. They took my name and how I got the wound etc.

I was taken into the operating room, put on a table and I hand an aide take my right light and turned so that my would would be available to the doctor another aide held my left leg down someone held my chest  and other both arms down so I couldn't move.

The doctor then began to patch me up. No painkiller. No ether. Nothing. He put in 5 or 6 sutures. I did not let out a peep or move. No crying no yelling. When the doctor was done I was let go and I got off the table and walked.

The police officer addressed the doctor. "that boy is one hell of a kid. tough no crying nothing. It's unusual!!! I was about 10 when this happened [ed: 1929]

14 comments:

  1. Yes, he must have been tough to put up with stitching with no pain killers, poor kid. I taught at an Our Lady of Mount Carmel School in England back in the 70s. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't even sound like painkillers or a local anesthesia was offered.

      Delete
  2. Love reading about your dad..He was very tough!
    I Can't imagine being able to withstand that with out a pain killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the phrase that would best describe Dad as a youngster, and he would agree, is "little bastard" =^,.^=

      Delete
  3. WOW, no pain killers and no crying. Good for your dad. I love these looks back at his life from those days. Things would be much different today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine what would happen today if a 10 year old walked into the ER by himself?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know! Talk about stupid kids things. My poor grandmother!

      Delete
  5. Wow. That's amazing. He was a little toughie. That stitch up couldn't have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CJ; I'm laughing, not at your dad because I cringed and was thinking be jezuz...that whole episode had ta hurt like H...laughing at what the cop told your dad.....dood...ya think !!!!!!! ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was proud to have heard what the cop said about him. He was also pleased with the scar he carried on his leg.

      Delete
  7. Ouch!! I am in pain, just thinking of this!! How did your dad do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure his mother must have asked the same thing.

      Delete