Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Gardens and Grounds on Enders Island


I arrived an hour before check-in so the first place I visited was my little beach


During the Summer, there were hundreds of sea spiders (tiny, hermit crabs) scampering in the water. They are all gone except for one that I saw. (The black dot in the center of the photo)


The Holy Gully wasn't sitting on his perch on top of the cross. I have since learned the gull's name is Gunther. There have been many Gunthers over the years.


Fall came to the island and there were lots of crisp leaves to shuffle through.


Late blooming rose,


dahlias


and one measly petunia.

With the vegetation cut back, I found some things I hadn't seen (or maybe remembered)


I found Dolphin Boy, the cousin to Worcester's famous Turtle Boy


and a statue of St. Francis. The prayer of St. Francis was the text we would be lettering this week.


Across from the studio, the hydrangeas were still hanging on.


At sunrise, each morning, I went to the little beach. It was cold early in the morning. Sea foam dotted the beach like clumps of snow.



One morning, there was a purple jellyfish. 


Most mornings began with a glorious sunrise.



An over board


pine cone


It rained Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning. There was ponding at the end of the driveway by the causeway, a blurred line where land began and sea ended.


I think this is the current Gunther. He was strutting around the parking lot as if he owned the place.


A lone dahlia. 


A beautiful sunset


followed by a brilliant sunrise on my last day on the island.

How does your garden grow?



20 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful place to be, I think I would enjoy being there, too. Love the purple jellyfish! Gorgeous sunrise and sunset pics, always my fave views. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen a purple jelly fish. You would love taking pictures of the sunrises and sunsets on the island.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for taking us along on the trip:) Looks & sounds like you had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful time filled with art, companionship, and glorious food.

      Delete
  3. I think it is prettier in the autumn than in the summer. It looks a little more "natural" which is not the right word but it is the best I can think of right now. And you did get some rain. Hope it was a super week CJ. And hope for maybe a few more photos? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think each season must have its own charm and beauty. My favorite season is Summer, of course. It's nice to not have to lug a jacket or coat around. And the perfect weather for wading at the beach. The water was too cold to wade in this time around. 🥶

      Delete
  4. Looks like a beautiful place. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a peaceful place. Everyone is so nice so it's hard not to have a good time.

      Delete
  5. These are some beautiful photo's! I especially enjoyed the last sunset pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I mean to day "sunrise" pic. Well, actually I liked both the sunset and sunrise pics lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😺 That's okay, my Lady. The sunrises and sunsets were equally beautiful.

      Delete
  7. How delightful to be in a place with such beautiful views of both sunrise and sunset :) The beach looks like a perfect place for a walk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is very tiny. Not much bigger than 8 x 10 ft. So you can't do much more than pace, but it is my favorite spot on the island.

      Delete
  8. Truly beautiful and peaceful CJ!!! I can't wait to go on another retreat next year! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my … this is the most wonderful post.
    I loved your photographs, what an amazing place.
    It really feels, and sounds, as if you had the most wonderful relaxing time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pace of the island is just the best. Time to work and study, to meditate, to laugh, to eat, and to be spoiled.

      Delete
  10. Your garden is great. To discover St. francis must have been a surprise. We have lots of lizards around our house. We can them all "Fred". Makes life simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I simply don't understand how in the world I missed this post, CJ. It's great that you have taken us back to Enders Island. The roses and other flowers are holding on for dear life. I was SURE that was snow till I read it was froth in the water. Shows how much I know about the ocean.

    How sweet that St. Francis is now exposed and welcoming. Good that you learned Gunther's name. Holy gully indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks such a peaceful place to visit - beautiful 😀. I hope you had a lovely time and wishing you a happy new week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete