Saturday, April 10, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library

 When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.


The Crystal Cave
Mary Stewart


If you haven't read this book, you can find it at your public library or your favorite bookstore.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great story, I always enjoy reading books about this time. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered Mary Stewart last spring. I haven't read this series but I did pick up a used set of them, so maybe this summer I will read them. It sounds like a great read. Enjoy this beautiful day. I hope you are doing something more fun than me. I had to help clean up a tree the hubby chopped down last weekend. But at least it will be nice to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only have I not heard of Mary Stewart, I also haven't heard of this series. It certainly sounds good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. If you like King Arthur stories, you'll like this series

      Delete
  5. I'll have to look into these. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this series well. I reread the trilogy several times and then tried the 4th book when it came out. Too much time had passed, I think, and I didn't care for it. The Crystal Cave I'd read again in a minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like what i read. I just discovered Alice Hoffman again - realized she has written a heck of a lot of books. I read a few of hers back in the 80's i guess it was...practical magic being one of them. So i am determined to go to our local library and begin checking some out and reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make more time for reading. I seem to "watch" more books than actually read them

      Delete