Thursday, April 15, 2021

When You Try to Explain A Joke

 

The meme refers to the  poem written by J. R. R. Tolkien in the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, chapter 2:

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

This Master ring of the evil Lord Sauron has the power to control all the other rings and all that live in Middle Earth. 



22 comments:

  1. Such fun, my sister would have got it as she's read the books and watched the movies ...lol 😉. Thanks for the smiles and Happy Thursday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it now. Of course I am trying a new antihistamine and my mind is fuzzier than cotton balls this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, it never occurred to me that one would need translation lol but then I read the books back in the 70s so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories of the Lord of the rings! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. They probably had to glue the bowls to the floor so things wouldn’t move

      Delete
  6. No wonder I didn't get it. Lord of the Rings was not a book I read. Now it makes sense that I wouldn't have gotten the joke no matter how many hints you gave us. Thanks for the explanation, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the first Lord of the Rings and maybe i will start watching more. I remember I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the trilogy of movies. I didn’t really care for The Hobbit as there was a lot of liberty taken with the story. I didn’t like the book The Hobbit, either.

      Delete
  8. Lord of the Rings ... so good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete