Tuesday, April 20, 2021

T Stands for Tie Dye Easter Eggs and Easter Egg Bread

 

For Easter, Italian tradition calls for a braided loaf of bread studded with eggs. Years ago, I found a recipe that makes individual nests so this is what I bake for Easter Sunday breakfast or lunch (if I don't get up early enough to bake the bread.)

The recipe calls for dyed eggs. The eggs are not hard boiled before hand but dyed uncooked. As the bread bakes, the eggs will cook and become "hard boiled."

This year I found a different way to dye the eggs. Instead of dipping the eggs in a solution of hot water, vinegar, and liquid food coloring, you Tie Dye Easter Eggs

You will need white eggs, liquid food coloring, paper towels, disposable nitrile (I have a severe allergy to latex) gloves, small elastics or bread ties, a small spray bottle of clean water, and a glass dish. If you are not baking the eggs in the bread, hard boil them.


Wrap the eggs in paper towels and secure with the elastic


Randomly drop the liquid food coloring on the paper towel. The lightly spritz the paper towel with water. The dye will run. The more water, the less vibrant the eggs will be colored. Then over the sink, gently squeeze and press the paper towel against the egg. This is why you will want to be wearing a pair of gloves.


Lay the eggs to dry in the glass dish and allow them to dry for several hours or overnight. I was impatient and needed the eggs because I was also baking the bread. I put the eggs on a cookie rack over the glass dish and put the eggs under the blower of the mini-split heater to dry them faster.


Tie dye eggs waiting to be baked into the bread


Easter morning breakfast.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. Those tie dyed eggs are beautiful. I didn't realize the eggs go on raw and cook while baking. That makes sense now. Your finished roll looks absolutely yummy and perfect for Easter. Enjoy the day. ANd happy T day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a time saver so you don't have to wait for the hard boiled eggs to cool before dyeing.

      Delete
  2. Letting the egg cook while the Easter bread bakes is a new process to me -- the recipes I've seen seemed to put the egg in after baking, or just double-cook the eggs. Interesting. I've never made it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real time saver. I only had one year that the eggs didn't hard boil all the way through. I probably didn't let the eggs come to room temp. I think they had been stored in the fridge overnight.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful "nest" of bread. I love seeing the pretty egg in the middle.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look very festive and everyone loves having their own bread and egg.

      Delete
  4. It was easy and the results are so pretty. Just be sure to wear disposable gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of this is WAAAAY too much work! LOL But your bread looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a novel way of coloring eggs. I will certainly give that a try next year!
    Have a lovely T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun way of colouring eggs, it all looks great. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and the paper towels made beautiful patterns, too

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of that method, but they turned out beautifully! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little quicker than the water dip method and just about as messy

      Delete
  9. Love the those dyed eggs! Would never have thought they start out raw. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this CJ! How special!!! You did an amazing job! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those eggs are so beautiful! I love the pretty mixture of colours, I've never seen them dyed like that before - amazing 😀. Your bread looks so delicious too, I'd love to try some with my cuppa today - Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon over, and I'll bake a new batch. You can dye the eggs.

      Delete
  13. Several people made these at Easter this year. But NONE were as colorful as yours. I love how you created these. It gives me an idea for the 4th of July. Thanks for sharing your bread and your tea in that beautiful blue mug with is for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to see what you plan for the 4th of July

      Delete
  14. WOW! Those look so cool! Very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so fun! I want to try it! My family would flip over this. I like Elizabeth's idea of trying it for July 4th. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A big WOW from me ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete