Tuesday, September 5, 2023

T Stands for T at The Breakers

From the website: "Built by Cornelius Vanderbilt II, one of the richest men in America, The Breakers was everything a millionaire of the Gilded Age could want in a summer getaway. A classic Italian palazzo design, the finest American and European craftsmanship, views of the sea, and modern technology combined to make the ideal setting for luxurious living and entertaining."

The Breakers is one of the "cottages" in Newport, Rhode Island


We could have our tea in the dining room.


Looks like there is sherry in the billiard room


This would be a nice setting for tea


The kitchen, away from the main part of the house in case of a fire.



The menu didn't photograph as well as I hoped. I can make out:

Chaud, hot
Clam Broth
Something in champagne. (Champagne served hot? 😱)

Froid, cold
Mayonnaise something
Sandwiches

I did better with the desserts
Madeleine with fruit
Nougat Chantilly
Meringue a la Creme
Something with Raspberries
Pancake something
Petit Four
Coffee



The cake closet made me laugh. As if cake would last long enough to put in the cake closet


cooktop


ovens



Everyday dishes


Two stories of dishes in the Butler's Pantry


If you wanted to pretend you lived in the Gilded Age, you could purchase replica china at the gift shop.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

27 comments:

  1. You had a fun visit there. A nice little cottage indeed! And a cake closet - haha! The china is prett but not my colour, and I need big, comfy mugs for drinking! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if the main color of the china was blue, that would be my color

      Delete
  2. I'll take something with raspberries with my tea. Smile. On the porch-do you call it a porch? With the ocean view. Definitely. Fun T day post CJ. I hope you enjoy the heat. I turned the AC's on low this am so I don't sit here and sweat. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porch sounds too plebian. Lower Loggia as there is another open air room above called the Upper Loggia

      Delete
  3. It must´ve been dangerous times for kitchen personel then! I am thankful for induction-stove and our small oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original house was built of wood and destroyed in a fire. When the house was rebuilt, the kitchen moved opposite for precaution

      Delete
  4. I love seeing kitchens in old houses, mansions, castles, and “cottages.” This looks like a particularly wonderful preservation success.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Preservation Society seems to take great care with the properties. At the time we were there, the grounds and gardens were being restored.

      Delete
  5. I like the kitchens and the bathrooms the best in the old 'cottages'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the amount of luncheons and dinners that would have to be prepared and clean up afterwards, I wouldn't want to work in the kitchens

      Delete
  6. It always amazed me that the rich called the mansions of Newport a cottage. LOL Very nice post with great photos. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed by the kitchen. That oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hate to be the scullery maid that had to black that stove and shine all the copperware

      Delete
  8. The "cottage" is still gaudy, but I am in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE with all that copper. Looks a bit like MY kitchen. I don't have the big tall pot, though. This was SO interesting to see all that copper in the kitchen and how it was displayed over the center island.

    I would gladly join you for tea in the dining room, but am not a fan of sherry, so that can stay in the billiard room. Thanks for sharing your trip to The Breakers, the rooms where we could enjoy a drink, the copper (MY FAVORITE) and all those cups and saucers with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely Incredible - Like WoW

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. That view is gorgeous! I toured quite a few Du Pont houses as a teen and they all are similar to this one. Not a great use of money. But I do like that China pattern.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love the ocean view, I could definitely sit there a while.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a 30 ft. drop to the ocean. I think I'd rather landscape a gentle path down to sit on a private beach. 😺

      Delete
  12. Everyone should have such a cottage, hey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or like the little mountain retreat in Asheville, NC? 😺

      Delete
  13. Wow, some serious money went into the 'cottage' by the sea. The women were so skinny back then so cake may have lasted a bit - lol. Great pictures and to imagine tea in all those places. Lovely post, CJ. Happy T-day and hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea with a view of the ocean or on the lawn would have been the best.

      Delete
  14. Interesting little cottage lol. I love all those copper pots and pans. Happy belated T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete