Monday, September 4, 2023

Keeping Up With the Vanderbilts at The Breakers (the First Floor)

From the website: "Built by Cornelius Vanderbilt II, one of the richest men in America, The Breakers was everything a millionaire of the Gilded Age could want in a summer getaway. A classic Italian palazzo design, the finest American and European craftsmanship, views of the sea, and modern technology combined to make the ideal setting for luxurious living and entertaining."

The Breakers is one of the Summer "cottages" located in Newport, Rhode Island . There are 70 rooms, including 48 bedrooms for the family and staff. From the tour leaflet: "Work began in the Spring of 1893and, remarkably, was completed in  the Summer of 1895, with the house totaling 138,300 square feet."

The first house purchased by Cornelius Vanderbilt II (grandson to Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt) was destroyed in a fire in 1892. He had the current house designed and rebuilt. I found the house to be both magnificent, but gaudy. 



The Great Hall

This room measures, 50 feet x 50 feet x 50 feet (my entire Little Dollhouse could fit into this room). "Many parties were held in this room over the years, with the first being in 1895 for Miss Getrude Vanderbilt. Over the years, this hall was the scene of tricycle rids and sliding down the grand staircase on silver dinner trays by children in the family."


The Grand Staircase


Under the Grand Staircase


The Breakfast Room and informal family dining room



Ceiling painting of the goddess, Aurora ushering in the dawn



Mosaic floor in the billiard room



"The dolphin was the ancient symbol of hospitality and can be seen in multiple areas around the house."





Clock by the Grand Staircase


Door panels to the Morning Room depict the Four Elements: Earth, Air, Fire, Water.



The Four Seasons are depicted on the ceiling




As the card says, The Music Room, "was the setting for family weddings and debutante parties"



I wouldn't want to dust and clean the crystal chandliers






The Music Room was also the setting for the HBO series The Gilded Age as the Russells' New York Ballroom and daughter Gladys' debut ball


Library Alcove



The Library


18 comments:

  1. It's not gaudy......it's opulent! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (I'm with you though, IMHO it's GAUDY!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive. Glad I am happy with our small condo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I would want to live there. Unless I had the staff to keep the house, grounds, cook, shop...😺

      Delete
  3. Quite nice, but I woud forget some of those rooms, it's a tad too big for me. And a bit over done for my taste. Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate having to clean all the rooms and dust the chandeliers, walls, and ceilings!

      Delete
  4. WOW! What I wouldn't give to live in that mansion! But, can you imagine how much cleaning is involved?!?

    Anyhow, Teddy chewed up my laptop charger cord and my husband had to order another one for me. I was finally able to sign onto my other laptop but can not access my Yahoo email now ... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, naughty Teddy! It's a good thing he's so cute.

      Delete
  5. Oh, and for some reason I can not use the links for the blogs I follow from my blog - I have to go into my browser in order to get into them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is magnificent, but too gaudy for me also. I'm just a plain Jane if I compare my style to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the artwork is impressive, the furniture and rooms don't inspire one to relax in comfort

      Delete
  7. "Cottage" roflol! I'd love to tour that place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that most of that place is gaudy. The only room I really liked was the Morning Room. The rest were just over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if you have that kind of money, you want to flaunt it.

      Delete
  9. WOW!
    Nice to see this in your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete