Thursday, September 14, 2023

Name Tag



Tuesday was part 1 of Kathy Milici's Modern Ornamental Initial's class. During the afternoon session, we were supposed to work on painting an intricate H. 

While the good students followed the lesson plan, I was designing a name tag for a work event. I just didn't want to wear the peel and stick Avery label. 

I worked my design on graph paper. On Wednesday, I transferred the design to watercolor paper using a piece of Saral paper. The size of the name tag which will fit into a plastic sleeve is 3.5 in. x 2.5 in.


With Dr. Ph Martin's Black Star ink, I wrote my last name using Kathy's Modern Storybook Script. The Black Star ink is truly waterproof. I was going to ink the entire design, but chickened out because the center line was so narrow. The initials and stars were done using a Micron Pigma pen .01.


I thought I would take process photos, but I got into the zone so here's the final piece. I was tempted to gild the stars and center line with 23K gold (just because I can), but worried that the plastic sleeve would harm the gold. The gold designs were painted using Schminke Gold Perl watercolor.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the star design suggesting I have an inflated opinion of myself , well I do, but that's not the reason for the stars. I have recurring dreams with star fields and magnificent blue skies so these motifs are important to me.

17 comments:

  1. From the looks at that tag, you were still a good student. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good student would have followed the lesson plan.
      😺

      Delete
  2. Follow directions????? We wouldn't be who we are if we did! (Plus the end result is beautiful! So much better than Avery!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so very true. And lives up to CJ doesn’t always follow directions. At least I didn’t need a parent’s signature 🤣 - CJ

      Delete
  3. It's always good to think a lot of yourself, we don't need to high under a bush. Your name tag is fabulous, what a beauty, and yes, it would deserve real gold! I love the colours from Schminke, they are my fave watercolours. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gold is so rich and lovely to work with. That’s the only color of Schminke I’ve used. - CJ

      Delete
  4. Being creative aside from the plan is OK in my eyes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way Cool - I Am So Thankful That I Stopped By Today - Thank You

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!
    Oh and I was fascinated that your husband got his Masters at Purdue. I worked there for years when we lived in Lafayette. They have a good chemistry department.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well at least their not pink stars... (AKA .. Stephen Kings 'The Dome' "The pink stars are falling "). Beautiful CJ! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete