Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Adventures of the Poor, Little Boob

  This journal is about my journey with DCIS which began in January 2024. Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. A form of breast cancer. I didn't tell many people. Family, a handful of close friends. I didn't even tell my bosses at the museum where I teach. Somewhere along the line after much prodding and poking, I decided the My DCIS Journey was too boring so retitled the journal Adventures of the Poor, Little Boob.

The Poor, Little Boob has been cancer-free since June 0f 2024, and still has another year of taking hormone therapy and being monitored by an oncologist. My target date for ending the medication and this journey is June1, 2027



Apparently, asking for a referral from the medical group my doctor belongs to opened up a can of worms.

Dana-Faber Cancer Institute, where I wanted to be treated, told me I didn't need a referral. They had checked the insurance and accepted it.

The medical group said they would be treating me and denied the referral to Dana-Farber.

At the time, I wasn't able to get through to the insurance company.

The administrative red tape just felt like I would be jumping through so many hoops.

12 comments:

  1. Don't get me started........ trying to navigate the medical 'system' dealing with two parents who had catastrophic illnesses/accidents. I think the powers that be think we will give up in frustration. They don't know who they're dealing with! ⚔️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I think they just expect we'll go along with them

      Delete
  2. between big pharm, insurance companies and doctors offices, it’s not a wonder we all aren’t sitting on a couch in a
    shrinks office from having lost our minds
    cant even begin to tell you the F’ed up 💩💩💩💩💩my brother went thru before someone finally….diagnosed him with MS 🤬🤬🤬 lotta lost time that could have been spent
    on proper treatment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of a doctor telling the insurance companies what treatment is needed, they let administrators with no medical experience make decisions! 🤬

      Delete
  3. "The administrative red tape just felt like I would be jumping through so many hoops."
    . . . and you really do not need this awful task of jumping through so many hoops!

    Happy midweek wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many other things to worry about, I didn't want to worry about insurance stuff

      Delete
  4. Medical care is so messed up in this country, isn't it? No wonder why it's so expensive- all the ridiculous reed tape. I hope you got it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember drawing flow charts in a computer class I took in college. It's sad how the medical facilities today don't know their right from their left hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make things so much easier for the rest of us if everyone was on the same page and the directions were crystal clear

      Delete