Thursday, September 20, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Besides the Draft in 1941 other things were going on, the war was getting closer to us. The government began movements that were preparation for war. We were supporting Great Britain, Russia and other countries that the Axis as Germany and Italy were called and also the President declared a freeze on the shipment of scrap metal to all countries that were outside the Western Hemisphere. 

Japan was our biggest customer and it complained actually it protested.

The President also declared an unlimited state of national emergency. He froze all of Japan's assets in the U.S. Shut down the German and Italian Consulates. Agreed to help Russia which was at war with Germany.

All the actions that were directed to helping nations fighting the Germans and Italy began opening factories in America. We were or started to get out of The Depression and to also invited our getting into the war even if we were attempting to stay out of it.

The government was negotiating with Japan. The Secretary of State informed the Japanese that to avoid a war between the U.S. and Japan, Japan should remove their army from China and Indochina .

They refused and on Dec. 7, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

In the late Summer of 1940, Skip informed me that he had taken courses at Columbia University that had to do with national disasters, wars, etc. And upon completion of the course his name was sent to the Federal unit that would be in charge. And the agency was calling him. That he ha dtold this to the  Club's Board of Directors.

That Doris would be a consultant. And I would not move up to the Director's post because the Board wanted an older person. I would train the incoming director whom I knew as he was active in the Club. That I would train him I would get a good increase in salary. Have my cut restored and the addition and also receive a deferment.

As he was telling me this I wasn't too happy as to what was happening. I felt that I could run the Club as its Director. But the deferment was unpleasant.

The selective service act was in position and it developed another group of citizens who could not pass the physical examination or were needed in key positions received deferments. They were called 4Fs [ed: four effs]. In short the public considered these people as slackers. I did not want that title. And feeling I was getting a rotten deal. And I also felt that the Board thought it about time to have a local resident in the driver's seat.

I told Charlie that I would not accept the offer because of the deferment. I wanted to go when called. So I gave my 2 week notice.

So I returned to East Boston whence I came from.

16 comments:

  1. Your dad lived through some hard times. He knew his mind and stuck to his guns, that's good! Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did have definite ideas especially about fair play

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. I knew some things about the war but I didn't actually know much about events that lead up to Japan bombing Pearl harbor. My dad always spoke of what it was like being in the war, but not the lead up to it. Hope all is well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to read Dad's thoughts about what was happening around him and how events would effect him.

      Delete
  3. It IS very interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who was living through it. Much different than hindsight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. without a doubt times are scary now; very.....but reading how your dad expressed the feelings of this era, makes me realize a bit more, just what my relatives lived with on a daily basis ~~~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think each generation goes through trying times.

      Delete
  5. Wow. This gives a lot more insight into the war. Every Thursday, your dad continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How ironic that your father would consider how others viewed him over his own safety. But I agree he got a raw deal at the club.

    what was happening then is being mirrored today, I fear. Seems we don't learn from our past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He felt it was his duty to serve his country. Remember, Italy chose the wrong side so there was also that prejudice against Italian-Americans. For the Born in America, like my dad, I think it was important for them to be American.

      Delete
  7. This is all so interesting CJ! Such a different time, that your dad went through. Also, not being American, it's really interesting to know your history. Reading your comment about Italian-Americans, how there was a prejudice against them. I never new anything about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prejudice against Japanese-Americans, Italian-Americans, and German-Americans. History records the shameful practice of the Japanese-American internment camps. Italian and German immigrants that were not American citizens were labeled Enemy Aliens. My maternal grandmother was not an American citizen at this time. Her husband, my grandfather, served in WWI and through the Army became a citizen. It must have been a scary time for people like my grandmother that lived here for many years, but hadn't become a citizen.

      Delete
    2. And there were camps for German-Americans and Italian-Americans., too.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing all this with me CJ! A very scary time indeed!

      Delete