Tuesday, March 14, 2023

T Stands for Pizza and Pi Day

When we first moved here (37 years ago), the only place to get pizza in town was Tony's. Tony's pizza was always ok. I like the pizza I make better, but Tony does make awesome subs. A few years ago, Tony retired and sold the business though the new owners kept the name. I still prefer my pizza, and the subs are still good. The only issue is that lately, the restaurant can't get an order right. The order always seems to be mixed up or missing in some way.

About the time that Tony sold the business, a new pizza place, Pizzeria Bruno opened up in the Market 32 shopping plaza.. Bruno's pizzas are baked in a wood fire oven. Very authentic. (The original Tony was Greek, and the pizzas are baked in a commercial gas oven) We decided to give Bruno's a try.


I'm a plain eater so I ordered a Margherita. Very Neapolitan (as in Naples, Italy). Thin crust, charred in places, San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Perfect.

Since the Young One can't eat tomatoes, she ordered a white pizza. The Contadina: mozzarella, gorgonzola, pear and walnut. I had a taste of her pizza, too. Our only complaint was it needed more pear.

Himself ordered the Invernale pizza. San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, red and yellow peppers, red onions, sausage and mushroom.

Bruno's pizza is different from Tony's pizza. (Italian vs. Greek) Bruno's pizza is closer to the pizza I grew up with in East Boston, the famed Santarpio's pizza. Bruno's also got the order correct.



Besides pizza, we also treated ourselves to dessert. I had a slice of Limoncello cheesecake. Very yummy.

Today, happens to be the Geek holiday, Pi Day celebrating the constant Π, 3.14159. To celebrate, go eat some round food today.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. Good morning the new pizza place sounds awesome! especially being wood fired and getting your orders correct. Your daughters pizza sounded really good. Yum dessert looks awesome too. I used to make our own limoncello and I would keep in the freezer where it would have icey crystals so good on a hot day-I need to find my recipe and make that again. Happy T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limoncello in the freezer, not on the snowy day today
      😺

      Delete
  2. What a great way to celebrate Pi Day! We have a Piero Pizzeria across the street from us. I love their Grilled Chicken salads and the pizza is pretty good, too. I have had the wood fire oven pizza and it is different, but very good.

    That piece of pie for dessert looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do know I more than just crave Pizza now, right?!!! A real Pizza, not a muffin.
    Oh, in San Gimignano/Tuscany we had the best Pizza ever!! Thin crust, the perfect Margherita. Sadly we just visited for the day (we were in a group).
    Yes. you were just in the news with your crazy weather.
    Tomorrow I´ll post the real tulpis to shoo Winter away!
    Have a happy, yummy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to seeing your tulips. At this rate, we won't be seeing Spring until July

      Delete
  4. Happy Pi Day! Your pizza stories are fun. “Greek” pizza is not really from Greece but made by Greek immigrants to the US, who often owned restaurants. The Italians really invented pizza, and then created a whole new world of pizza when they came to the New World! I’d like to taste the Boston original.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say Greek pizza because the crust seems to be heavily oiled so when you pick up your slice, the oil just runs off. I am Italian and usually don't go for Italian food because it's not as good as what Ma or Grandma made. When Ma made pizza, she cheated for time and used frozen bread dough. Santarpio's in East Boston was the best. The restaurant is still around and still owned by the family, but I haven't been there in decades.

      Delete
  5. Now this makes sense because I thought I had read the stroopwafel post before. Your pie looks yummy. Its the perfect day for it; not only is it pi day, but a good day for pizza with the storm. Stay warm and safe. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza's not happening today. I'm making a half-assed Shepherd's pie with leftover meatloaf and a tater tot topping in a pie plate! 😺You stay safe and warm, too.

      Delete
  6. Your piza slices all sound good, as does your limoncello cake, yummy! Stay safe and warm! Have a happy T Day and a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, safe and warm inside while it snows and snows outside

      Delete
  7. I left a comment but then something went wrong, so I will try again. I can eat pizza any day of the week. Wood fired is the best but I make a pretty good one in my own oven. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat pizza every day, too, and I like the pizza I make. Baked on a pizza stone.

      Delete
  8. So many different pizzas! They are all probably YUM! Hubs and i like Pizza Hut Supreme! Happy Pi day and T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had Pizza Hut in a long, long time. I liked their deep dish pizza

      Delete
  9. Everything looks delicious and is making me hungry. Wood fired pizza is the best!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great minds think alike and thanks to you, I had pi, too. Your daughter's pizza sounds better than yours, actually. I'm not a fan of hot tomatoes, either. However, I AM a fan of thin crust wood fired pizza. And I admit, your dessert sounds good, too. Thanks for sharing your pizza, your tea, and your dessert with us for T this Pi day Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good pizza can be so delicious! I think the new place sounds pretty good, and I like your daughter's choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her pizza was delicious, but it really needed more pear

      Delete
  12. Yum! I would have gone for your daughter's pizza for sure and definitely the dessert. GREAT post and story of your pizza adventures. We probably have 50 pizza places within 30 miles of us, but I like the way we do it a home best. Funny how that works out. Happy T-day and hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, T Day came and went without me. I'm still wondering what happened...

    We are spoiled for choice for pizza places here in Memphis, but we had frozen pizza for Pi Day while we watched the new Luther movie. No cheesecake, though. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza is a great choice for Pi Day or any day for that matter

      Delete
  14. We have a few Pizza chains in the UK but they aren't as good as an Italian place we found in Paris. I do prefer to make my own though(with a shop bought base). Loved seeing the stroopwaffle post again. We have two local cafes that sell them - need to resist! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete