Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Chicken Little's Rite of Passage




Chicken Little. That's what we called The Eldest when she was little. That was yesterday. Yes, I'm sure it was yesterday. Today, I drove The Eldest to jury duty. I was in my mid-thirties when I got called for jury duty for the first time. She's eighteen. Almost nineteen. Yesterday, she was four.


There was no place in the courthouse lot to drop her off so I drove to the art museum where I teach and parked there. The courthouse is a block from the museum so we walked. I fought the urge to take her hand as we were crossing the street. Wasn't it yesterday that I took her hand and walked her to preschool? Yes, I'm sure it was just yesterday.


I left her at the corner. Who was that young woman walking away from me? She looked so confident. I fought the urge to make sure she went in the building.


So, Chicken Little was called to jury duty. An adult. A rite of passage. My rite of passage too. Letting go. Not hovering.




7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an emotional day - for one of you! {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cats - how *did* that happen? Now that you've waxed poetic, I think about when I first met Chicken Little and she was... 10 or 11? It surely was just yesterday. AH-HA!! I had an epiphany - it's not US - it's HER, she's maturing at a freakish rate.

    Did she get picked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. role reversal, that's what it is...when they're little, they are the chicken, the one we watch out for, the one who is scared of new experiences...and as they grow (I know for we have another milestone looming next week) the mama becomes the one who is scared of new experiences for them.

    It's all a slide toward weebledom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really nice.

    Nothing like someone little growing older to make us feel old!

    Next step---grandchildren??? Start learning where to hide your paints and inks....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna Alice is right, better learn where to hide your paints and brushes.. My grandaughter, was real quiet one evening down in my work room..She had gotten into my paints, she did some real art work to my work room. Carpet too! Take care Hope you had a wonderful weekend! I am feeling better. I'm leaving Friday for Calif to visit my brother for 2 weeks. I believe the trip will be miracle medicine. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, that's sooo sweet and a lil sad too! Made me think and remember my mom. I'm sure your daughter has all those memories of those times too tucked away inside her heart! I remember the first time I got on a school bus for school, my mom cried....

    ReplyDelete