Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Prayer of St Francis



Monday morning, after Mass and having our hands blessed, we began the preparation to letter the Prayer of St. Francis. Kathy Milici, the instructor, had done a layout that we would follow.  We traced the versals (the large capital letters) and the poppy design. We also ruled the paper, Canson Moulin du Roy, following her guidelines.

Kathy chose an upright, bouncy, Italic variation for this prayer. I knew the prayer as a hymn, so the bouncy letters reminded me of musical notes, and the uneven lines reminded me of the melody. The lettering was to be done with a size C-4 Speedball nib. As I am a Southpaw, I wasn't sure how many lefthanded nibs would be available so I brought my own. I don't use the Speedball nibs beyond teaching with the C-1. I use a Brause nib and worked out the size to be close to the Brause 1.5 mm.

We spent all day Monday practicing Kathy's Italic variation on layout bond paper. In the afternoon, we lettered on a scrap of the Moulin du Roy to get a feel for writing on the good paper


On Tuesday, we lettered the entire text on our good paper. I honestly didn't think I would be able to letter the entire piece. I'm a hooker (and proud of it 😉) That is I approach the writing line from above instead of below. As a Southpaw, I also write directly over my writing line where a right handed person writes away from the writing line. For me, this means if I am not slow and careful, I will put my paw in wet ink and smear it. So my routine is to write 4 or 5 letters, maybe a word or two and then I have to sit and give the ink a couple of minutes to dry.

I had told Kathy I am not able to keep up with right handed classmates. And that's okay. If I wasn't able to finish lettering the piece, I could always work on it at home. I really wanted to learn Kathy's technique for painting poppies.

Kathy was very laid back and encouraging with all of us. And as it turned out, I finished lettering my piece in the same time frame as the other students.

26 comments:

  1. Your lettering is fantastic. The words are beautiful, too, one of my fave texts. Glad you enjoyed your week so much. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the favorite hymn of my friend, Darrell.

      Delete
  2. Looks great CJ. You must have wonderful steady hands to be able to do calligraphy. I can't even write something very neatly when I try. happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handwriting and calligraphy are two different animals. Calligraphy is really drawing as each letter is built up using multiple strokes.

      Delete
  3. St.Francis is so dear to my heart, I pray everyday using His name, because my son is named Francis☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! AWESOME! My mom was an amatuer caligrapher and she tried to get me into it. Being a leftie I failed miserably, so I am doubly impressed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the world looks, smells, feels, tastes, backwards to us Southpaws, it just takes a little longer for us to master things like calligraphy. But we can do it.

      Delete
  5. Such a long piece! My hand would've been cramping by the end of it. It may be that the righties were having to pause to rest their hands, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So beautiful! And so impressive:)
    What an awesome accomplishment, CJ, and so encouraging to your fellow Southpaws!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CJ...this is awesome, you did an amazing job and I hope you frame it; and put it near a photo of Ink....☺☺☺♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an outstandingly beautiful job on this and ...I feel you - ...i'm a southpaw and i guess you could say the same about me as you wrote about when you write... I use to like to do a lot of pen and ink drawings and I can't tell you how many times I smeared my work. I finally bought some really ultra fine point pens and they don't smear at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks wonderful.
    I didn't know you were a Southpaw too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favorite prayers. Your end result looks beautiful. Being a southpaw makes things a little more challenging sometimes. (I'm a righty, but I'm very familiar with lefties.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is always so lovely CJ I love that you are sharing it with us-hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete