Thursday, August 25, 2016

Throwback Thursday

Today, is the 77th anniversary of  the general movie rlease of The Wizard of Oz starring Judy Gardland, et als. I bet my mother was the only person from her generation who never saw the movie. In fact, she hated the movie especially the signature song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. 

I can remember watching the movie every year on television when I was a kid. Seemed the yearly showing was a big deal for the network. Ma never watched the movie with us. I have a feeling she secluded herself in the celler and either did laundry, or played with her beloved sewing machine.

In 1939, Ma was 20 years old when the movie was released. She would turn 21 the following week on 2. September. She and Dad were dating back then, but not going steady.  When the movie was released, Dad took another girl to the show and not Ma. Since Dad had already seen the movie, he didn't want to see it again. Ma never went to see the movie and held a grudge against it all her life.

2 comments:

  1. There's just some things we don't forget:)
    Besides your mom, I'm probably one of the few people who never learned to appreciate that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...they weren't going steady...but I see her point.

    ReplyDelete