Monday, January 9, 2017

Animal Totem

Last week, I had stated the bear is my animal totem. Sandra asked how one finds their animal totem. She also suggested the topic would make good blog fodder. Thanks for the idea, Sandra.

Many native peoples around the world ascribe to the belief of an animal totem or guide. A spirit to guide us on our life journey. The spirit is usually an animal. From the animal we gain certain aspects of our personality. And you don't get to pick your animal spirit. The spirit picks you.

You may also have more than one animal spirit during your life. They may come into your life, teach a lesson, and then leave after a time. Usually, there is one animal that stays with you during your life.

I have been drawn to bears for the longest time. I think  I was in my teens or early 20s when I started feeling a pull towards bears. While I'm attracted to all bears (polar, panda, grizzly, sun), I identify with black bears.

As a child, maybe 5 or 6 years old, we went to visit a friend of my mother. On a stairwell leading to the basement, was a stuffed bear cub dressed like Smokey ( the) Bear, the fire prevention bear. I don't know where they got the bear cub, whether they picked it up or if the husband was a taxidermist. The little bear was dressed in a tiny pair of blue jeans, a belt with a large belt buckle, and a ranger hat. I remember staring at the little bear for the longest time, and every time we visited, I would make my way down to visit the bear cub.

What are the traits of a bear? A bear is a solitary creature. Most people think bears are agressive, but they really are passive unless provoked or frightened. Don't ever get between a mother bear and her cubs. Still waters run deep and dark. Bears are territorial. They like to play, but also know when to rest. (They also have the good sense to hibernate during the Winter) Bears enjoy sweets (honey and berries). Polaris, the North Star, found in the constellation Ursa Minor in the Northern Hemisphere (The Little Bear, Little Dipper, or Little Ploughshare) is a fixed point used in navigation. So attributes of being constant, stable, reliable.

I have also been drawn to cats. (I have been owned by 3) and since my parents passed away (4 years ago this year), cardinals.

So, how do you come to understand which animal is your totem? Usually, by meditation and then watching and listening for signs and symbols. Think also about an animal you may be drawn to. Not because you think the animal is cool, but you're attracted in some unexplicable way. You might find Animal Totems and Meaings an interesting site to explore.

Now, none of the information I've presented is scientific, and I'm not an expert on the subject (though maybe I play one (-; ) but "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet Act I, scene V

What's your animal totem?

8 comments:

  1. Bite me. Ha.
    This was great, CJ. You are indeed a bear personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I am. And don't bother me before I've had that first cuppa in the morning. (-;

      Delete
  2. I have no idea how to go about finding my animal totem, mainly because I'm a cat person. But I love the bite me bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about it; your animal totem is cat. =^.^=

      Delete
  3. Love this post! Crows are my animal totem! I love cats too! Actually, I have been told, since my birthday month is September, that bear is my animal totem too. I believe it is what animal comes to you. And, like you said, you could have many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that animal totems were associated with birth months like a zodiac. Cool!

      Delete