Thursday, January 19, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Olga, age 6-8?
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passsed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

My sisters were my mother's duty to teach them to be good housekeepers and cooks. Which was standard in the community. They were extra good. Both kept their houses in condition. They were fussy about their homes and putting on meals. Their homes were so clean you could eat off the floors.

When you were six years old, we went to Olga's with The Brother and you told your Aunt Olga having been there before, "Auntie, you put up new curtains." With that statement you won her heart. She said I don't always keep curtains up too long and change them regularly and you're the only one that noticed in all the years [ ed: Auntie would wash her windows and change curtains the day after it rained]

Bobby or Chickie as he was called was the last born. Mother had 4 miscarriages. She called Bobby her little chicken because it would seem that he wasn't growing at all. He sprung up and also dropped school. When he was called to the Service [ed: Army] he was told to do extra work by studying and getting his high school education. He did very well.

It was Olga's chore to take Bob for outdoor time. I would take the carriage down all 3 flights. One day she dropped Bobby on the stairs. He got too heavy for her as he was growing and added weight. Needless to say Mama had a good scare and fortunately, he wasn't hurt except that he cried. My mother was wondering how she was going to get him outdoors etc. I volunteered to take him for his airing. So I would take the carriage downstairs and go back get his bottle of milk, put it in my back pocket and then take him down. [ed: There was a 10 year age difference between Dad and Uncle Bob. Dad never called his baby brother, Chickie, but called him Bob or Bobby]

When the other boys saw me pushing the carriage they began calling me "mama boy". Fighting words. This didn't last long, a few days, because I would stop and say, Ok, make fists and protect yourself. I beat them up and they stopped.

My brothers and sisters loved me and so didn't my brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law. They were wonderful people.

11 comments:

  1. I beat them up and they stopped. Heh heh. That would have taken care of it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad was a tough kid. Unfortunately, these fights earned him a not favorable reputation around the neighborhood and in school.

      Delete
  2. Oh! Poor Bobby! Dropped as a baby! I can hear the family jokes he probably heard for the rest of his life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he got ribbed about being dropped. He did get teased about oranges making him sick. I wonder if that story is in the journal (-;

      Delete
    2. We had a family joke about BigBrother...my mother fell into a HUGE pile of manure when she was carrying him...explains A LOT!

      Delete
  3. CJ.....could you hear my...on no....when I read bobby was dropped on the stairs; glad he was alright; olga was probably "beside herself" with worry. I'm glad your dad gave the neighbors the ole one two; he would have been taunted mercilessly, forever, if he hadn't ~~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the poor Baby. Olga was most likely very upset. She and Bobby were very close. Before he passed away he had been in a comatose state. He woke up, called Olga and passed away. We feel Olga must have come to help Bobby cross over.

      As to Dad, he had a hell of a temper. There was no way of him being taunted forever. :-D

      Delete
  4. This was a fantastic story, and I can relate to your father's mother and aunt who kept immaculate homes. Meals were always eaten in the dining room every evening and we talked about what each of us had done that day. One time it got heated was during an election year, when my grandmother and grandfather were on different sides of the fence. Regardless, it was always enjoyable, as I'm sure it was for your father.

    Loved the idea that he beat the kids up and that stopped the teasing. That was one of my favorite lines in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One memory I have of Auntie Olga. She must have been babysitting the Brother and me as both our parents worked. We asked to make Kool-Aid. Long before sugar free, you had to add sugar to the powdered drink mix. The Brother spilled a few grains of sugar on the kitchen floor. Auntie had a hissy fit. Not only took out the bucket and mop to wash the kitchen floor, but waxed it, too! After that incident, I was always nervous to have anything to eat there.

      Delete
  5. 4 miscarriages! Bless her heart! Poor Bobby! Great story!

    ReplyDelete