Thursday, December 9, 2021

How To Remove Paint from Skin Without Harsh Chemicals

 
Photo by Rahul Pandit from Pexels


Recently, I was working on a project using spray paint. Of course, I didn't wear gloves while I was painting and ended up with paint on my hands. Mineral spirits would remove the paint from skin, but two things. 1. It's stored in the bowels of the garage where the spiders live and 2. it's harsh on the skin. What other household items could be used? Searching online brought me to fractionated coconut oil and lemon essential oils both of which I had.

Essential oils can not be rubbed directly on the skin as some of the essential oils can burn the skin. They need to be used with some sort of carrier oil. Any oil such as olive oil, almond oil, etc. would work, and any citrus essential oil (orange, lime, grapefruit) would work, too, as the solvent to break down the paint.

First, rub the oil all over your hands. Add 3 drops of lemon or other citrus oil onto your hands and scrub. Use a nailbrush or toothbrush to scrub around the fingernails.  No need to open windows or use in a well ventilated area as there is no stinky, chemical smell, but a pleasant smell of lemons. Voila the paint is gone. Wash your hands with soap and warm water, dry thoroughly, and apply a hand lotion if desired.

24 comments:

  1. Good tips. I think people wouldn't recognize me without colourful fingers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned over the years that just plain oil does a multitude of things (without stinking up the joint! Think Goo Gone 🤢)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ; you can also use 100 % pure coconut oil that's found in the grocery store; either in the "natural food" section { or in our store, next to peanut butter. }

    It will take paint off just about any surface after leaving it on for a few minutes

    also works great as a moisturizer for dry skin and in small amounts can be applied to dry patches to cats; it won't hurt them if them groom it off... ;) ♥♥

    wavez two ewe calli & quill ~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, any oil will work. I like the fractionated coconut oil as it stays liquid and doesn't turn solid at temps below 72 oF.

      That's good to know about coconut oil being a kitty moisturizer.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty hand! I hadn't realized citrus essential oils could be used like this. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure to mix the essential oils in a carrier oil (coconut, olive, almond, etc)

      Delete
  5. Nice tip CJ. Those messy hands look like someone was having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes one want to go over to their house to play

      Delete
  6. Wow! This is seriously helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so useful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a helpful tip, CJ. Now I need to determine how to get staz-on reinker off my hands (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use inexpensive baby wipes to remove ink from my hands

      Delete
  9. That hand sure is art! Too cool an outcome to wear gloves!
    If I ever do, though, I know how to get rid of it, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete