Saturday, December 4, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library


 When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Guardian by Jane Hamilton.  A story about love and redemption. A guardian angel commits the most egregious crime a guardian can commit. If you haven't read this book, you can find it at your local library or favorite bookstore.

15 comments:

  1. This is a book I Haven't read, must look for it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added this to my wish list, and when I looked it up on Amazon it said it was released under the title The Wrong Enemy, and the author changed her name to her married one (Jane Lebak). You probably know this but it is part of a series. It sounds like a great series. I was wondering if you read any others? Stay warm today. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this book when it first came out and have read it several times since. I didn't know it was a series.

      Delete
  3. Okay, now you have me wondering what is the most egregious crime a guardian angel can commit? :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this is a generic message, but it's all I could pull together. Late Thursday as I headed to the basement, I caught my sleeve on the railing and lost my balance. I fell down 13 of the 14 steps to the basement floor. I laid there for what seemed like hours, but in reality was probably little more than 20-30 minutes. When I was able to get up, I realized I had hurt my back enough that all I could do was lie on it. I have trouble sitting or standing. I hope you understand. If I normally visit you every day, I hope/plan to feel better by Monday. Thanks for your support and understanding. PLEASE, NO SYMPATHY. It was my own stupidity.

    Never even heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a book - I attached a little guardian angel with a steering wheel to Ingo´s backpack so he makes it to and fro from Salzgitter every working day. We all need such an angel, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet. I gave one to the Eldest for her car along with a reminder not to drive faster than her guardian angel can fly

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this book. So many books, so little time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's part of a series, but I didn't know that

      Delete
  7. I've not heard of this book ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never read this book, or heard of it? Thanks CJ!

    ReplyDelete