Tuesday, December 14, 2021

T Stands for Christmas Tree Gift Tag

Last week, my colleague and blog buddy, Jean from Pushing the Envelopes posted what I considered a steal-worthy design to decorate my Christmas card envelopes. Jean thought her idea was ho-hum, but I thought it was brilliant. 

She wanted me to post an example of the envelope, but I thought I would show how to use the design to make a gift tag. Besides, it provided a T Day topic and a chance to procrastinate. Who wants to keep searching through piles of paper looking for a misplaced tax document?


Making the tag is a perfect opportunity to use up your scraps. I used the Scan n Cut built-in design to cut a tag from index weight, decorative paper. The tag measure approximately 2 inches wide by 4 inches in height. You don't need a cutting machine for this project. Just do a search for free printable tag templates. You'll find lots of shapes. Print, cut, and use to trace onto your paper.

I used the paper cutter to cut a rectangle from plain cardstock approximately 1 3/4 inches wide by 3 inches in height. I also used a punch to round the corners. 


I used a pencil and drew a line along the bottom about 1 inch in length. I eyeballed the center of that line and drew a vertical line almost to the top of the rectangle. I left enough space so a foil star sticker would fit as the decoration on top of the Christmas tree.


I used an ultra fine point, green, Sharpie marker to draw the tree. You can use any kind of marker, colored pencil, or a pointed pen and ink. 


Jean had done some random flourishes to draw her tree. Her technique reminded me of the Lazy 8 drills we did in penmanship class. The Lazy 8 also looks like an elongated cursive L.


Since I'm a Southpaw (lefthanded), I turn my paper so I don't drag my hand and smear the ink as I write.


Try to keep the space between your Lazy 8s as even as you can and the loops a kind of oval shape. Gradually increase the size as you go down the triangle to create the base of the Christmas tree.


I used red, green, and blue Sharpie markers along with a gold Uniball gel pen to randomly color circles and make dots for the tree ornaments.


Give the markers several minutes to dry before you erase your pencil lines. Use glue stick or double sided tape to glue the Christmas tree design to the tag. Add ribbon or yarn for the tie. I used Baker's twine.

Ta-Da! After all that hard work relax with a cup of tea or your favorite beverage. You can also use the gift tag as an unbreakable ornament as a test to see if the kitties will bother the Christmas tree.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s blog to find out what the rest of the T gang is up to. If you want to play, include a beverage or beverage container in your post. Don’t forget to link your blog from Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s page.

37 comments:

  1. Fun idea, thanks for sharing. My Kitty and doggie always had great fun wrecking the tree, the cat pulled everything down and the dog chewed it all up! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That drawing looks as if it requires quite a bit of skill to make it so regular and symmetrical.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of practice, and then you'll get a rhythm going

      Delete
  3. I loved your tutorial, and perfect as a tester too for the kitties-fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They took a few bats at it and then got bored 😺

      Delete
  4. Love your drawn tree CJ. It makes a great tag and addition to your tree. I take it you will add more on your tree perhaps? Nice drink addition for T day too. Hope you have a good a one. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the non-breakable ornaments were added to the tree yesterday. So far, so good.

      Delete
  5. How gorgeous! Your tree is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes....the kittie proof test! a.k.a. Never put anything that hangs BELOW the lowest branch! The boys always thought I did it that way to have more room for presents. The innocence of children! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and I love your tree on the tag. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice and a fun project. Enjoy your day today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this makes a pretty tree ornament! It'd take practice before I could make the design anything like even and regular, but it'd be worth it to end up with something like this. Sweet! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always do the design in pencil first and then trace over and erase.

      Delete
  10. What a cute tag. I would have to turn my work too for the same reason. Too late to test it on the kitties, but I do have an early warning system in place in the form of jingling bells at the bottom of the tree. If I hear the bells I know one of them is attempting to eat the tree lol Happy International T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing drawing. If only I were so clever as you. This turned out great and is a good way to see if the new kitties will be tempted by the tree. I'm SO lucky. Neither of my cats climb, so I have tabletop trees they will never bother. I wish you luck with yours. That lovely tag deserved a reward of tea after all that work, too. Thanks for sharing your tea and your incredible art with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calli has assumed the bread loaf position under the tree. Quill was more interested in eating the tree and pawing some of the ornaments. He's backed off once I showed him the squirt bottle of water.

      Delete
  12. That's a great way to draw a really nice and unique Christmas tree. Thank you for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome tree tag. I love the process that you used creating it. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darling tag, CJ and love the way you did the tree. Fun idea. I may have to try it and make a few tags. I could Hogwarts colors as I did a Harry Potter tree after all my ornaments were misplaced (we have an ornament gremlin...). I love that you have bells on your tree to warn you if the cats got in it - might work for Grandsons too - lol. Happy late T-day and many hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely tag. Drawing the squiggles looks quite complicated. I think I would have to practice that for a few days.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little practice. You'd get the rhythm down

      Delete