Saturday, February 26, 2022

Saturday Morning at the Library


When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Shining by Stephen King. From Goodreads: Jack Torrance's new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he'll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote...and more sinister. And the only one to notice the strange and terrible forces gathering around the Overlook is Danny Torrance, a uniquely gifted five-year-old.

If you haven't read this book, you can read it at your library or favorite bookstore.

22 comments:

  1. I've shied away from some of King's scarier books. I started the Shining last year, and then had to put it down 1/2 way through for some reason I don't remember. Now that they days have more light, I should get back to it. (I don't know about reading it in the dark.) King is a really gifted writer, isn't he? Enjoy the sun and hope you don't have too much to shovel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge Stephen King fan here!! Have you read the sequel.. 'Doctor Sleep'??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read the book only saw the movie. I like King's not so scary books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stanley Kubrick film with Jack Nicholson was horrible. The mini-series written by King was so much better.

      Delete
  4. I've always avoided it because of the horror factor, but I think in another year or two I'll be ready to try it. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really more psychological horror as in your imagination takes over. This book kept me awake at night

      Delete
  5. We saw the movie, and that convinced me that I did not need to see the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kubrick film with Jack Nicholson was trash. The book is way better.

      Delete
  6. I actually read this book YEARS ago. Finally one I HAVE read (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read that one and seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE Stephen King! One of my favorites was "The Dead Zone" (both movie and book).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself and I liked "The Dead Zone" television series, too

      Delete
  9. This is one of those books where I liked the movie better. I like King, but he does have trouble actually bringing his stories to an end.

    ReplyDelete