Saturday, February 19, 2022

Saturday Morning at the Library

 
Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon in "The Scarlet Pimpernel"

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. The first book in a series of historical novels. Sir Percy Blakeney an English dandy by day becomes the elusive Scarlet Pimpernel and rescues aristocrats during "The Reign of Terror" in the early days of the French revolution. 

First written as a play then turned into a novel. In 1934 turned into a movie starring Leslie Howard in the title role.

If you haven't read this book, you can read it for free at Project Gutenberg, or you may be able to find it at your library or favorite bookstore. The Baroness wrote a series of books about her Scarlet Pimpernel. Some of the other books of the series have also been digitized by Project Gutenberg.

18 comments:

  1. I loved the film and the books when I was a kid. we had a weekly series in England, too. I still remember the opening words of the series each week - 'They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek that damned man everywhere. Is he in heaven, is he in hell, that damned, elusive pimpernel!' That sticks in my mind and I keep forgetting my own telephone number! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't remember your own telephone number, but can remember the opening lines to a show. 😺 I'm the same way. When I got my cellphone number I asked them to give me a Sesame Street number so I could remember it.

      Delete
  2. I read this years ago, but I can't say I remember much about it. But I know I read it as I found my old paperback copy when cleaning last year. You do like classics, don't you? One thing you know is that classics have stood the test of time and are still a good story. I wonder what books written now will become classics. Stay warm with this little cold snap. And happy weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a certain romance with the old classics. I'm hoping the snow squalls don't visit my area.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I ever read this one, I'll have to check it out. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the movie! Leslie Howard was the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that a long time ago, and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the books and the movie is one of my favorites

      Delete
  6. I saw the movie but haven't read the book.
    Ordered more spiced tea:)
    YOU take special care and enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was offline since midday yesterday due to an area wide outage at AT&T. Now I'm trying to catch up.

    I've never heard of this, but that is nothing new for me. I have missed SO much of my formal education. Apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never looked at Leslie Howard at a love interest. He seemed so bland. He was just wrongly cast.

    Reading is a gift, I loved the freedom it gave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read the first book but _loved_ this movie. We have it on DVD, and it's one of The Husband's favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you cue it up, I'll bring popcorn

      Delete