Saturday, February 5, 2022

Saturday Morning at the Library


 When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen Lawhead. Five books makes up the series of another take on King Arthur. The books are Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail. A related sequel to the series is Avalon.

If you haven't read these book, you may be able to find them at your library or favorite bookstore. 

16 comments:

  1. I don’t know this series, but then I’ve always been more of a mystery reader. They sound good. Going out to try to clean up some ice. Ugh! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice was a solid sheet. I just sanded and salted. Temps on Tues for the rest of the week are supposed to get up to the 40s for us.

      Delete
  2. I never did read his series. I'm still not sure why...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must know a lot about King Arthur's legend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this series! Happy weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The things we were forced to endure as kids! I liked my dance lessons, especially tap, but I also had to take piano lessons which I didn't enjoy at all. I took those lessons for so many years and can't play a single thing today. The library was always my happy place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, parents meant well. Wanted to provide us with opportunities. The library was a very happy place to hang out.

      Delete
  6. You really like medieval, don't you. Guess it goes with calligraphy. Stay safe, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I do. I studied English Medieval Lit in college. With calligraphy, I feel I have come full circle

      Delete
  7. OHHHH CJ, when I was a child my mom also forced me to have dancing class, jajaja, I remember that at the beginning, I liked the classes, but not so much. But after 1 month, thought, I missed the ballet dress and shoes at the bus, then I never went to the classes. I love to read, and the first book I wanted for Christmas, was Cendrillon.
    Well, have a great weekend dear, big hugs
    Caty

    ReplyDelete