Tuesday, December 26, 2023

T Stands for Doppelganger



Earlier this month, we went to the cemetery to visit my parents' grave and to bring a Christmas wreath. As is my custom, I bring flowers for Ma and greet her first. 


The Veteran's cemetery participates in the Wreaths Across America program where Christmas wreaths are donated and placed on veterans graves across the country. I wondered if the wreaths left by the families remained or were thrown away. No matter. Ma would have been upset if I didn't bring a wreath.

After the cemetery visit, we decided to stop for a late lunch. The restaurant we used to frequent closed.

Himself: Where do you want to go?

Me: Remember one time we found that Irish Pub?

Himself: No

Me: Yeah, the Irish pub. Murphy's.

Himself (reaching for his phone to find directions) How do you know the name is Murphy's

Me: All Irish pubs are called Murphy's

A short drive from the cemetery and we found the restaurant. Himself remembered we had eaten there.


For an appetizer, Himself ordered Irish Nachos. Tater tots smothered in cheddar cheese with bacon bits. Served with sour cream and Pub Cheese. For my drink, I had unsweetened ice tea with lemon.

I got so busy eating that I forgot to take pictures of the entree. I had fish and chips. Himself had a Shepherd's pie. It was really a cottage pie as it was made with ground beef and not lamb.

Himself: Doesn't the waitress look like Elaine

Every time I ask Himself is someone look like someone else he always says. No, they don't. So without even glancing at the waitress I said: She doesn't look a thing like Elaine.

When the waitress came over to ask if everything was okay, I looked at Himself and said: Yes, yes, she does.

The waitress gave me a puzzled look so I explained how she looked exactly like our friend, Elaine.

She seemed tickled with the idea that she had a double.



So tickled, in fact, that when we ordered apple tart for dessert, she went to the bar and got us some maraschino cherries to make the dessert a little more special. 

A few days later, we had dinner at Elaine's restaurant and told her about meeting the doppelganger. She thought that was fun and wanted to meet her.

"I could use a clone to help me out."

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

25 comments:

  1. So lovely to visit your parents graves this time of year, we recently went to my dad's grave too. Loving the food, it all looks so yummy 😊. Wishing you peace, joy and happiness this Christmas time ❤️. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post story at the restaurant-Happy T and Merry Christmas Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Elaine gets to meet her doppelganger. Or her clone. aren't doppelgangers evil? Your dessert looks very yummy. And I'm glad you don't forget your Mother. It reminds me I need to go see mine and be sure the dates are on her stone. Have a great T day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've taught me the difference between Shepherd's pie and cottage pie. I'd never heard of cottage pie. I'd rather have the fish and chips, but my husband might well choose the other :) Happy T Tuesday! (I wish I could figure out why I can leave comments on some blogs only using Firefox or only on Chrome. There must be a reason I'm running into that...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the beginning of a convoluted and interesting 'separated at birth' story.....run with it! (I have a clone that I met in my twenties at jury duty. We still keep in touch!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the Irish pub was the place to go. The food looks so good. Have a lovely day today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your food look great! I made a shepherd's pie yesterday for Heike and me, today we went for a delicious meal in a restaurant. Pity the Irish pub here is too far away! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Years ago people told me I had a look-alike, but I never met her. I wonder if we are still similar after all this time.
    Your apple tart looks great. I’d love to go out to eat, but it’s not on our list this week.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to go out to lunch with Teague this week. 🫰🏼

      Delete
  9. Another girl and I always used to confuse teachers- she was older so problem solved when she left! Your dessert looks great! Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it something good to have a Doppelgänger? I guess at times it could come in handy. All the best for 2024 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh a clone would be so handy wouldn't it! The apple tart looks delicious. Merry Christmas and Happy T Day! Elle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a clone could turn out to be very handy

      Delete
  12. I was in the process of leaving Erika a comment when I head a loud BOOM and the room shook. Then I was in total darkness. It was an outage on my side of the street. The street light and houses/porch lights on the other side of the street were on. Since it was about midnight, I was hoping Sally was awake and would call the electric company, but that was obviously not the case. The first eight hours of darkness were tolerable enough, but after that, all I could do was dig out four warm blankets and add them to my bed. For nearly two days I was without electricity and heat. Even my hot water heater has an electric start. I had just enough hot water to make coffee, something I can't live without. When I woke yesterday, I saw the light on my electric clock was on, but it was still too cold to leave my bed. Just using the toilet was bone chilling. I have an appointment at 12:40 today, so this is a copy and paste message. I will be back after I shower and keep my appointment. Just wanted everyone to know your TSFT host has not forgotten you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! That was quite the adventure. I'm glad you got your electricity back

      Delete
  13. This comment begins with another copy and paste. The appointment I referred to in my last comment was for my eye doctor (ophthalmologist). I was sure I was going to learn if my retina was torn and if I needed an operation. Instead, I was taken to seven different rooms by seven little helpers and never once saw the doctor. Each "helper" gave me a different test. Each time they did, they put either one, two, or three different types of drops from different bottles in my eye. I got so tired of hearing the words "blink, blink, blink" after each drop was inserted.

    At the end of the day, I couldn't see a thing. I was given an eye patch to wear over my "good" eye. I must remove it when I shower and wash my face because it cannot get wet. It has put a strain on my "weak" eye and I can barely see anything. However, the little helpers don't believe I have a retinal tear because I apparently exhibit none of the symptoms which I won't go into, except I had a flash of light once. Since I can barely see, I will give a half-hearted attempt to leave you a decent comment.

    So glad you got to visit your parents' graves. That's a lovely wreath, too.

    Had to laugh that every Irish Pub is Murphy's. Not here though. Our Irish Pub is Hulahan's (not sure I spelled it right, though).

    Those Irish Nachos are making me hungry. And it's good the faux Elaine was so good to you with the dessert.

    Thanks for sharing your trip to the cemetery, your trip to Murphy's and your iced tea with us for T last week, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete