Sunday, January 20, 2019

Storm Prep


The storm that dumped heavy rains on the West Coast and heavy snow across the middle of the country, is making it's way to the East Coast. We had done some shopping earlier in the week so we were all set for supplies. Himself went to run an errand so I tagged along to pick up some milk.


Saturday, 19. January sunrise.


Along with some heavy snow, this storm brings the threat of sleet, freezing rain, and ice. My worry is losing electricity. Because we have our own well, when we lose electricity, we also lose water. No electricity to run the pump so not being able to flush the toilet. On Friday, I filled my water buckets so we would have water to pour into the toilet tank to flush. I also placed a lantern on the vanity so we can find the bathroom.


I did some baking. Not Keto, but gluten and sugar free. I used Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix to make a quick bread and some chocolate chip cookies. For the chocolate chips, I chopped up a bar of Lily's Milk Chocolate which is sweetened with Stevia. The bar has a total of 10 Net Carbs, so is an acceptable Keto treat.


Other supplies: another lantern for the kitchen. Peanut butter and tuna fish went on sale so we bought a ton for food that doesn't require cooking. The can opener so we can find it. The grey and green felt pouch holds the LePow Moonstone a portable charger for the phones and iPad. There are enough Lily's chocolate bars in assorted flavors (I only like the milk chocolate. The others are dark chocolate which I find too bitter, but Himself likes the dark. MiniMoos, half and half creamers that don't need refrigeration. Though I don't have a way of heating water for tea.


I moved the garden flag into the front porch.


Filled the bird feeder with the fruit and nut blend. I haven't seen many birds around and/or they don't like the cheap millet seed I had picked up for Timex and decided to put in the feeder. Sometimes the birds flock to the feeder during really bad weather.


Hard to believe a storm was coming. Though it was very cold, the skies were blue and sunny.


My car in the middle of the driveway in storm position with the windshield wipers raised. If we do get the ice storm, the wiper blades won't be frozen to the windshield. In the background by the stair rails you can see the post lantern that got blown over. I tried to lift it, but it was frozen to the ground. Hopefully, it will survive the heavy, wet snow and ice.


I baked some Keto hamburger buns. Himself doesn't mind putting things like chicken or tuna in a salad, or eating peanut butter on celery sticks. Me, I need bread or a bread like substance.


The errand Himself ran was to buy a little red wagon. Radio Flyer doesn't make the nice metal wagons we had as a kid and Grandpa bought for the girlies. Their wagon is long gone. He ended up with this canvas thing, but sufficient to help him roll the battery backups around. We were hoping one unit would power the microwave, but it wasn't strong enough. It does however work to power his CPAP machine. He can't sleep without it.

There's another wagon in the garage with the backup which will hopefully keep the sump pump humming.


We've done about all we could do to prepare for the storm. Now just have to watch the milky white sky and wait for the snow and Monday to find out if this storm was the blockbuster as predicted or just bust.

I hope all those in the path of the storm, ride through it safe and warm.

25 comments:

  1. Your preparations have been very thorough, but I hope the storm will not hit you too badly. Stay safe and keep warm, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for a bust. If not you are as prepared as you can possibly be.
    I'll be thinking about you and hoping for good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got about an inch or so of snow. It is so bitterly cold here, I feel for you in the path of this storm. My friend Sally sleeps with a CPAP. I never thought what might happen if we lost power for more than 12 hours. I hope you are fully prepared and can find a way to heat your tea. Thankfully, I don't mind drinking cold coffee, so when a storm is headed our way, I make sure I have two pots and water in the coffee maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we don’t get the ice storm, we should be ok.

      Delete
  4. Since you're so prepared the storm will probably be a bust. Isn't that the way it usually goes? :-/ (At least I hope so for your sake!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s what I’m hoping for. If we go through all the dance moves, the storm will fizzle. If we’re lazy and don’t bother, we’ll get whacked with a storm. We dance as fast as we could. And so far, so good.

      Delete
  5. You have a lot of preparing done. We just so rarely get snow to speak of here that we are never ready for the rare big storms. I agree ice is much worse than snow, and we seem to get ice instead of snow when a big storm hits us.

    Radio Flyer doesn't make metal wagons any more?! What's with that? We have one in the garage from back in the day, but it never occurred to me they wouldn't always be available :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plastic or canvas was the only wagon we found. Maybe they don’t use metal because kids don’t really go out to play? Metal is too hot in the sun? Who knows?

      Delete
    2. I found the metal ones at their website but quite expensive, which probably explains why stores don't carry them. Plastic might well be more practical.

      Delete
  6. Around 4 to 6 inches of snow here, with a tiny bit of ice at the start, and thankfully power stayed on.

    My eye went straight to the chocolate bars (delicious) and the packaging - perfect for mail art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got about 6 inches of snow. It’s still sleeting and so far, we still have electricity. As Martha would say, That’s a good thing. 💁‍♀️

      Delete
  7. I can totally relate your prep-looks like the east coast will get hit the hardest. we didn't get anything here to speak of-maybe an inch of snow a bit of ice since we had several hours of rain. we lose our well and septic as well if the lights go out. so far so good for us.
    stay warm and safe-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about losing power. Too many memories of past ice storms. We are also on a well and not having water is the worst. We've been having sleet and a mix of sleet and snow all day but the trees look pretty bare so hopefully that means power will stay on. I just read your previous comment and let's hope your power stays on also. Especially with the big game tonight, if you watch it. Stay warm. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same down here. Sleet and snow all day. Not much ice on the trees. I don't' think the storm was as bad as they said it was going to be. I'm not complaining. Hopefully, the electricity won't go out during the game.
      '

      Delete
  9. wow, you are SO prepped. Good for you - and interesting to see how you did it. What did I do during our massive deluge here in Southern California, sat inside and sketched and because we at our altitude didn't get snow I just sat it out for about four days and then went to check on the various lake levels - wanted to see how much they rose up. I'm so glad we didn't get snow - ! Stay safe and warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're superstitious. If we go through the bother of storm prep, we won't lose electricity. So far, works like a charm :-D

      Delete
  10. All I can say is, the overtime started with the luck of a coin toss in the beginning, but was won by the Pats when they made all those big plays at the end. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey CJ! Thinking of you! I hope you're ok! We are still in a DEEP freeze! I did the snow shoveling and the wind is howling, but we have power! A good thing! I truly hope you didn't lose power!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must say, you are so well prepared! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came through fine and didn't lose electricity. I don't think the storm was as bad as predicted. Not complaining. If we go through the motions to prepare, we don't get slammed. It's a superstition now. Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete