Thursday, September 10, 2020

What She Really Wanted

 While the Young One was pleased with the VooDoo Doll pincushion and is using it, she gently reminded me of the conversation we had about a pincushion.  She said she wanted a puffer fish like the ceramic fish that graced my mother's holiday table.


Like this. Imagine the holes of this sweet fish studded with toothpick spears of olives and gherkin pickles.

I recalled the conversation, but had forgotten. In my enthusiasm to make something happen, my imagination went into overdrive. I heard the Young One, but didn't really listen. What's a Mama to do?


Mama finds an amigurumi fish pattern, gets out the crochet hook, yarn and sets to work. The original pattern was longer so I altered the pattern to make the fish shorter, though it's still not as round. The pattern didn't have fish lips, so I borrowed the fish lips from this fish dishcloth pattern.

The Young One was delighted when I gave the fish pincushion to her. 

26 comments:

  1. It pays to listen, doesn't it? I stopped by because I was worried. Your blog hasn't updated on my sidebar, so I wanted to make sure you were ok, It's just a slow blogger, I guess. You created a genuine gem with this fish. I can see why she's happier with this than the voodoo doll. You did GOOD, the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves the VooDoo doll. She's pleased with the fish because it's more of a memory of happy times with Grandma.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen anything like that. I guess you will have to leave that to her in the will. It is funny what things we are attached to. My grandmother had these ceramic elephants that I always loved. Now I do have them, and I have to say they are very important to me. Happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving the Young One would be an easy thing to do if she was an only. I don't know if the little fish is equally special to the Eldest. They might have to duke it out. 😺

      Delete
  3. Good job, mom! Instead of 'forgetting', we say the sticky note didn't stick:) We have to say that a lot. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! You knew the voodoo doll would make a hit. The puffer fish is a different issue entirely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented-I am loving your ceramic puffer fish-very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The puffer fish is cute and fun. Lives in the curio cabinet until Christmas when she makes her appearance in the Christmas pageant

      Delete
    2. awesome-great that you are using it

      Delete
  6. Young One here. I ADORE my little voodoo doll. I've named them Scrap. They've been helping me with a little project lately. It wasn't what I was thinking of but my Mama knows me well and she is quite crafty and clever. Now I have two wonderful pincushions. One that I can use for my own projects and amusements and one that's easier to travel with. (And maybe a bit more family friendly and likely to be appreciated by people who aren't as twisted as I am ;) ). ^_^ Thanks Mama! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

      Delete
  7. You are talented.
    I do like the fish pincushion.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. puffer fish bee awesum.... like de two a bove.... but boy due they haz a "ruff hide" !!! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. well you have many talents I see. (I also went and checked out your lettering and art, so cool but I didn't know about your crocheting talent..This is so cute. I knew you were into calligraphy etc.. I don't know why I didn't notice your side bar before, ,duh.. I have tunnel vision I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably have too much stuff on the sidebar 😺

      Delete
  10. Fabulous! The puffer fish pin cushion is gorgeous, I can see why your Young One love it so much - perfect 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete