Tuesday, September 8, 2020

T Stands For Pincushion

 The Young One has taken an interest in sewing, mostly small things sewn by hand. In conversations about tools and things she mentioned she didn't have a pincushion. Say no more! My mind raced to think of a suitable object to make a pincushion. There's the traditional tomato, functional but not fun. What would be fun to stick pins in? A VooDoo Doll!


Since I don't sew, but can crochet, I found a VooDoo Doll pattern and set to work. I didn't have the tiny 2.5 mm crochet hook called for in the pattern and used a size D which is something like 3.25 mm. I didn't realize how much larger my doll would be. While I took a tea break, Godzilla lent a hand threading the needle so I could sew on the buttons.


Stuffed, faced, an arm and a leg


Ta da! 

The Young One was pleased even if its more of a doll than a small pincushion. We both agreed tools should be fun and this fills the bill.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

35 comments:

  1. How incredibly cute and clever. It is both fun and functional. I bought a "cactus" in a clay pot at a craft show one year. I use it to store my corsage pins which are much larger than regular pins. I love that the cactus also has a couple of flowers on it. It's crocheted or I probably wouldn't have mentioned it. I like the doll, though. I'm sure it's less bulky than the cactus in the real clay pot. You've got to admit, though, it has a face only a mother could love. Thanks for sharing your pincushion doll and tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A face only a mother could love is what makes the doll so endearing. 😺

      Delete
  2. Oh that is so clever and fun. How do you think of these things? I may have to steal that idea and make my daughter one as she is often sewing. Happy T day CJ. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do I think of these things? A warped frame of mind. 😺

      Delete
  3. I just love your creativity!! your daughter will love it Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a tempting project as my ancient pin cushion is kind of strange because so many needles have been lost in its insides. Unfortunately I don't have any appropriate skills -- have never tried to crochet at all.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm left-handed. If I can crochet right-handed (the way I was taught), you should be able to crochet, too.πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  5. He's A-DOR-Able! (remind me to tell you MY voo-doo doll story someday! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too funny, CJ. I laughed all the way through. You should market this idea. It's fabulous!

    Happy T-Day. Stay safe and well. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what fun and how adorable! You crochet so beautifully - fabulous 😁. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how fun and cool is this voodoo doll pin cushion-love it!Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the thimble on godzilla is priceless ☺☺☺☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny ~ Much more fun then a tomato! ~ Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will certainly be a conversation starter if she is ever in a class

      Delete
  11. From my (bought) blue VooDoo-doll: hi to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That’s awesome. Looks like it would be difficult to make. So different, love it. It can be displayed, she will always be able to find it.πŸ‘»πŸ˜»

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little difficult because it was worked in a spiral. I had to use stitch marker (paper clip) and keep count of all the stitches.

      Delete
  13. Yes, tools should be fun and this one certainly is! What a great idea. Very unconventional (but very useable) pin cushion.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Ha! Brilliant - I still have to learn to crochet - I need to watch on line I think! You mentioned the town names in your comment on my blog - Dunham Massey is the name of the town but, Biddulph Grange is in Biddulph and Fletcher Moss is part of Didsbury. I agree we do have some lovely names - may of them derived from Rpman, Danish or French! A very belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the towns sound like they’re right out of fairytales

      Delete
  15. I like it.
    Very well done.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so darn cute! You have inspired me! I love this! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete