Saturday, June 12, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library

 

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, Bram Stoker's Dracula. You can find a preview of the book here.  If you haven't read this book, you can find it at your public library or favorite bookstore.

15 comments:

  1. Good book. Have you ever read Dracul? It is great and a great connection to the Dracula story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book a long time ago and still have it in my book shelves. Happy weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my copy got sent to the library fundraiser

      Delete
  3. Now Google is into book reviews. I have read this one, believe it or not. It was pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the movies.....does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I saw the movie before I was inspired to read the book

      Delete
  5. Dracula! I still remember the first time I read it. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustration on the cover of the paperback gave me the creeps. I had to put the cover face down while I was reading the book. 😺

      Delete
  6. i never read the book but just the other day i told mike i wanted to see the old dracula movie again.

    ReplyDelete