Saturday, June 26, 2021

Saturday Morning at the Library

 

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

You can find a preview of the book here.  If you haven't read this book, you can find them at your public library or favorite bookstore.

21 comments:

  1. I have read the book an saw the film, too. It's a great story! Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the movie as I was quite smitten with Oscar Werner.

      Delete
  2. OR, they can borrow my copy. I am a HUGE Bradbury fan and have just about everything he has written. Yes, I own that book and have read it more than once. Thanks for sharing something I finally know about!! Are Asimov or Clark next (grin)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book had a great influence on me as well as several of my friends back in the day. Some even started memorizing books. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that to be one of the Book People?

      Delete
    2. We were failures, never finishing our projects lol, but the idea of having to be a book because they'd all been burned was horrifying.

      Delete
  4. Now here's a book that I've not only read but studied extensively in HS!!!! LOL And I STILL enjoyed it.....even with the teacher's droning input! ;) (I even liked the movie!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the movie, but liked Oscar Werner better. 😺

      Delete
  5. I've never read this book. You know the story of the title name, right? The temperature paper burns at. That's all I can tell you about this book. I should check it out and put it on my ever growing list. I finished the Hollow Hills last weekend. Thanks for recommending it. I loved it. Stay cool in this heat. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book or you can watch the movie from 2018 or 1966 (my favorite) starring Oskar Werner.

      Delete
  6. Well Right On - Looking Forward To The List Of Books - Happy Saturday

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. didn't read the book but saw the movie in the student center at San Antonio Jr. College (Mt.Sac) when I was 18. Totally remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds scary. We call them "fire-devils", firemen who put on fires.

    Fires freak me out and yet I live with a (formerly) firefighter. Maybe a good idea ;-)
    There is even a movie?!!!! No. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I have read the book or seen the movie. I have to look into this!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete