Thursday, May 18, 2023

Mr. Zip Makes A Special Delivery

 

The Eldest's next work assignment is in Arkansas. A problem arose and she needed the item overnight. No problem. A trip to my post office where I mailed the package and told the Eldest she would have it by 5 pm the following day.

The next morning, I check on the tracking number and was surprised to see the package had been delivered. I sent a text to the Eldest that she could pick up the package at the hotel desk.

A few minutes later, a text the package wasn't there. Rotrow! Did I have the right address? Did I mail the package to the wrong hotel?

A call to the closest post office and Bob to the rescue. He remembered the package coming in. I told him tracking said it had been delivered, but it wasn't there. Maybe I had the wrong address. He put me on hold while he went to check. 

No, I had the correct address. Whew! The carrier left the package at a different hotel. Fortunately, the hotel was within walking distance where the Eldest was staying. Thanks to Bob, the Eldest went to retriever her package.

Later that afternoon, Bob called back to make sure the Eldest had gotten her package.

Like the postal service slogan, "We deliver for you.", Bob went above and beyond customer service. He could have just said, the package was delivered instead of tracking down exactly where it went.

I thought Bob deserved a special thank you note from a grateful mother on behalf of a relieved daughter far from home.

My envelope features the More Than Meets The Eye stamp and Mr. Zip. He was part of the postal campaign in the early 1960s to remind us to use the new Zipcode instead of the old zone number for an area of the city. Mr. Zip said: Mail moves the country, and Zipcode moves the mail.

Hopefully, Bob got a kick out of the mail art.

13 comments:

  1. LOL, just like my story today! Kinda... Meat was involved. And oranges, strawberries... the last two were hard not to pick! To being nice and helping each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great Postie who really went over and above his duty for you, and I'm sure he likes your thank you letter! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if BOB will answer YOU???? (I think the PO has a bad rep because of a tiny number of people who work there {and run it....ahem....} but I've always had great experiences with them.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it all came out well :) Your daughter is in my neck of the woods in as much as a neighboring state can be said to be in my neck of the woods ;) We've taken many a vacation in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Mr. Zip but I didn't know his name. And your drawing of him looks fantastic CJ. I hope you had a great Thursday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heartwarming story, CJ. I LOVE my mail carrier, who won me over the first day he was on the job. When we mailed all the napkins to everyone last year, Sharon was SO impressed with the PO I use. she said it was so much friendlier than where she mails hers.

    Don't you just LOVE that postage stamp? And I never heard of Mr. Zip, but I bet Bob appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous and so helpful too, your postal service is amazing 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete